Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need advice on buying a used Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 doors

Old 04-16-2011, 08:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need advice on buying a used Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 doors

Hi everyone,

I will try to make a long story short here and i am sorry for my poor english, i usualy speak and wite in french...

The lease i have on my 2007 Liberty will end in may and i am looking to buy a used Wrangler to replace it. In the past i own a '88 YJ and a '97 TJ, now i am ready for a JK 4 doors. My head tell me to buy a car to save on gas but my heart don't tell me the same.

I want to know what you think about the choices i found while doing the research for the right Jeep. I don't want to spend too much money, this Jeep will be used as a daily driver to go to work and maybe some weekend i will off road a bit. Is there any tip and trick you can give me to look for when i inspect the vehicle ? Do you think this can be a problem to have that much mileage on a Jeep ?

1st choice:
- 2007 Wrangler Unlimited X (Body and paint in good shape no rust)
- 70 000 miles
- electric doors and windows + A/C
- Automatic
- Hard and soft top
- asking 15 500 $

2nd choice
- 40 000 miles
- No electric door, no electric windows and no A/C
- Automatic
- Hard and soft top
- Asking 17 000 $

3rd choice
- 2008 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Body and paint in good shape, a bit of rust on hinges)
- 75 000 miles (mileage on highway)
- Sahara electric setup
- Manual
- Hard and soft top
- Asking 16 500 $

4th choice
- 2007 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Body and paint in good shape, lot of rust on hinges)
- 84 000 miles (mileage on highway)
- Rubicon electronic, everything functional)
- Manual
- Hard and Soft top
- ARB front bumber + 35'' tires + 2'' coil spacer
- Asking 19 000 $

What do you think of these Jeep ? Are they worth buying, are they priced too high ?

Thanks for you're help !

Stephan
Old 04-17-2011, 07:01 AM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I would stay away from the '07's and get the '08 if it is running well. It seems the '07's have a few more troubles as they were the first year. Plus I prefer manual, but you may not as it is a daily driver. Bon chance, mon ami!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by stefe
Hi everyone,

I will try to make a long story short here and i am sorry for my poor english, i usualy speak and wite in french...

The lease i have on my 2007 Liberty will end in may and i am looking to buy a used Wrangler to replace it. In the past i own a '88 YJ and a '97 TJ, now i am ready for a JK 4 doors. My head tell me to buy a car to save on gas but my heart don't tell me the same.

I want to know what you think about the choices i found while doing the research for the right Jeep. I don't want to spend too much money, this Jeep will be used as a daily driver to go to work and maybe some weekend i will off road a bit. Is there any tip and trick you can give me to look for when i inspect the vehicle ? Do you think this can be a problem to have that much mileage on a Jeep ?

1st choice:
- 70 000 miles
- electric doors and windows + A/C
- Automatic
- Hard and soft top
- asking 15 500 $

2nd choice
- 40 000 miles
- No electric door, no electric windows and no A/C
- Automatic
- Hard and soft top
- Asking 17 000 $

3rd choice
- 2008 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Body and paint in good shape, a bit of rust on hinges)
- 75 000 miles (mileage on highway)
- Sahara electric setup
- Manual
- Hard and soft top
- Asking 16 500 $

4th choice
- 2007 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Body and paint in good shape, lot of rust on hinges)
- 84 000 miles (mileage on highway)
- Rubicon electronic, everything functional)
- Manual
- Hard and Soft top
- ARB front bumber + 35'' tires + 2'' coil spacer
- Asking 19 000 $

What do you think of these Jeep ? Are they worth buying, are they priced too high ?

Thanks for you're help !

Stephan
I love my 07 Rubi. Haven't had any troubles with it. I do like the auto tranny though. Hinges are replaceable make sure there is no rust where it counts. Seems like that rubi already has some mods done so that may save you $ in the long run. Just look under her skirt and make sure no damage.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

That 08 Sahara seems like a decent deal. Personally I would agree to stay away from the '07's because it was the first year of release, a lot of friends of mine have had bugs with theirs that seem to have been fixed in later models. Not to say you wouldn't still get great enjoyment out of an '07 though
Old 04-17-2011, 08:47 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by lkinmond
... Personally I would agree to stay away from the '07's because it was the first year of release, a lot of friends of mine have had bugs with theirs that seem to have been fixed in later models...
My '07 bought in late Feb of that year:

1. No rust on hinges.
2. No bump steer/DW (despite two different lifts).
3. No steering wheel clunk.
4. Original ball joints still good (75K miles).
5. Just replaced rear brake pads (65K miles); front's still original.

No doubt some '07s experienced problems in the above areas. But so did some later models. Probably the single, biggest improvement is something you don't hear about anymore, and I'm not certain when it was fixed: The interior panel materials were very susceptible to scratching and damage--even a fingernail grazing against the dash leaves a permanent mark. For my money, I'm delighted with my '07.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Hi guys,

I just want to give an update on the Jeep i finally buy. The 3rd choice was gone the day i write the first post, so i decided to go with choice #4. After inspection of the Jeep, i settled for a price with the seller, a couple of days after, she bailed out and did not want to sell it anymore at the price we talked about, so i decided to go with a fifth choice i have in sight.

2007 Sahara
- Procom tire and wheels 37-13.5-18
- 4'' Rough Country
- 1'' Body lift
- 4 original tires and rims + 4 winters tires

The Jeep is in great shape, i only need to change the two brake (disk and pads) on the back wheels, they where metal on metal.

At first i did not like the way the Jeep act on the road, bumpy and wandering from left to right at every movement on the stearing. I got a shop to align it and they found that i have at maxium 1 degre instead on 4 on the camber (i thing, i am not sure if it's the right name) so they installed two relocation brackets for my lower arms and this way i was able to gain more than the 4 degre i need. Now the Jeep is perfect and stable.

My second mod was to add a Superchip... my god it worth every penny. At first when i got the Jeep the onboard computer was at 17.1 liter/100 km (13.76 MPG)now i am at 13.8 liter/100 km (17.04 MPG).

My third mod was to afe Throttle body spacer, this one gave me about .5 l/100 km, not much but combined with the Superchips it give me a bit more tork.

My fourth mod was the CB + Firestick II antenna and i am planing on getting the aFe Stage 2 Cold Air Intake.

That's it for now and i am verry happy to be part of the Jeep familly once again after my '88 YJ, '97 TJ, '07 Liberty and now with my '07 Unlimited JK.

Bye !

Stefe

Quick Reply: Need advice on buying a used Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 doors