Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need Advice - Help - Stock Rubi - Deep Sand

Old 06-02-2007, 05:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Advice - Help - Stock Rubi - Deep Sand

OK so we're having fun - but we ended the day very frustrated! Tires just slightly under inflated as we don't have a compressor with this time.

Background - we are at La Choya Puerto Penasco Sonora Mexico. I think if you Google earth it and get to La Choya - you'll see a pointer P1010073 and that is it.

A small shot is below from Google Earth...

Problem - we made it everywhere without a hitch - beach - trails - BUT when we went up this hill (major washboard - kids said it was better than riding a horse) I tried to keep a reasonable head of steam - in 4 HI - but began to shutter violently (had ESP off) and then started burying. Backed out - and backed down a ways - and tried just 2 WD - got much speed but the kids kept yelling "weeee - we're flying" and the wife asked if we maybe should be getting different multipoint seatbelts - actually buried in about 20 feet short of 4 HI. Back down we went...

Then tried 4 lo - HA HA - went a total of about 15 feet before burying ourselves with major shutters to the point where the Mrs suggested she may have lost a couple of fillings!

Tried various other combinations when a pickup came up next to me and locked up and then proceeded to the top. Yes his tires were just slightly wider but definitely much less aggressive tread but he had no trouble whatsoever - and yes he looked much lighter over all too.

I tried many different lines - it is all just deep sand. Am I pushing the limits of these stock M/T tires - or the vehicle - or - dare I say - was I in need of more meds before heading up to begin with!!?

Have to go try again tomorrow and could really use advice!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	chollapt.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	1895  

Last edited by AZToad; 06-02-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Air them down to 15 PSI for sand if you don't have a compressor or less with one. You should be fine at 12 PSI.

I ran about 10 miles to the garage after wheeling with 15 PSI and didn't have a problem, although I was only doing 45-50 MPH tops and 35 most of the time.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you have an automatic, shut off the overdrive
Old 06-02-2007, 08:54 PM
JK Freak

Default Are you trying to get me in more trouble?

Originally Posted by JKGirl
If you have an automatic, shut off the overdrive
Just kidding - and by the way - the wife (#1 on that list) was on board!!

Actually had already shifted into first (which I am hoping beyond hope) actually means I stayed in first but honestly never thought about shutting off the overdrive. Don't think the tach ever climbed above 2k but kept wondering whether the 6 speed would have acted that way.

Although we are looking into how to best configure a winch / compressor setup - I just wished I'd at least brought my boost/compressor present I gave to my wife for safety in her car - for this trip at least.

Just checked my tires and they were down to 25 psi but I'm a bit concerned about taking them down to 15 psi when I don't have a compressor along. I think there is a station in town but no clue if they have a compressor.

Traveling out of country I definitely should have been better prepared - but to be honest - we have the kitchen sink along as it is - I think the only thing I don't have is a compressor - and now that I think about it - I might have that too but not certain how to access the ability to increase tire pressure!

Our RV uses a compressor to fill a storage tank with compressed air to depress the brake pedal in the Jeep during towing. Wonder if it can be modified easily (with what I could put together here) to increase tire pressure.

ps. For those deciding whether to go Rubi - I'm sure that what we did today would have resulted in something breaking on another version. I tend to get into places I shouldn't be and probably am not the most experienced in some of these scenarios - but other than the loss of a connecting plate (for the towing setup up front) we are still in tact (not commenting about the next surgery!).

Any other suggestions - or is it really just a tire pressure thing? Anyone use specific tires for sand running?

Thanks to all...

Last edited by AZToad; 06-02-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:03 PM
JK Newbie

I tried also to get up a very deep sandy hill. I have a stock X. I did not make it and had the same experiecne as you did, with the shuddering. I got the impression our jeeps just werent built for going up deep sandy hills. Maybe the truck had a V8 inside of it, or something a bit more powerful, however I had no luck going up the hill.

Also,

if yer attempting to go up a hill, and its not perfectly flat, and yer tires are spinning.. STOP. I just broke my front U-joint when it caught on the ground. It shattered completley, and from reading on here, it seems a few people have had this problem. Remember you're in mexico, and if something breaks, yer SOL probably.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:22 PM
JK Newbie

Location: Mountain View, CA & Incline Village, Lk. Tahoe, NV (summer house)

Sand Driving:

* lower tyre pressures to greatly improve traction and reduce track erosion
* drive smoothly with gear changes at high revs
* ensure wheels are pointing straight ahead when taking off
* avoid the soft sand at the base of dunes and gullies
* make turns as wide as possible
* ONLY travel straight up or down dunes
* follow in others tyre tracks to drive on compressed ground
* avoid braking by coasting to a stop
* do not floor the accelerator if you are bogging down
* when bogged, try to reverse on your own tracks

http://www.pps.net.au/4wdencounter/4...d_driving.html

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...g/sand_dri.htm

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/od/sand...iving_Tips.htm

http://www.exploroz.com/OntheRoad/Skills/4WDSkills.aspx
Old 06-03-2007, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

I go to Silver Lake Mich and play in the sand. I lower air pressure to 3lbs. Can climb any hill there!!
Old 06-03-2007, 07:31 AM
JK Freak

Default First - going to find a compressor....

as soon as I find one (that works), we're dropping down to 15 psi and we'll see.

Should things go well, I'll post tonight - then pics tomorrow night when we get home!

Thanks for the advice and links....
Old 06-03-2007, 07:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DadsCJ
Air them down to 15 PSI for sand if you don't have a compressor or less with one. You should be fine at 12 PSI.

I ran about 10 miles to the garage after wheeling with 15 PSI and didn't have a problem, although I was only doing 45-50 MPH tops and 35 most of the time.
Aired down is under 10. That will make a big difference.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:27 AM
JK Freak

Default Pucker factor kicking in....

In the middle of nowhere Mexico - truly miles and miles out of town - with wife and kids and today maybe even dogs - in the vehicle. IF - and that's a big if - I can find a functional compressor within 5 miles - we'll drop it down.

Have to admit - having something go wrong this far away makes the old "something might not be too smart about this maneuver" feeling go off in the gut...

Quick Reply: Need Advice - Help - Stock Rubi - Deep Sand