Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need some advice...lots of it.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice...lots of it.

Long story short my powder coater for the spyderlocks made a oops and powdered my wheel wrinkle black instead of flat black. Ugh, no no! So after he tried to fix them it didn't come out right and had to start fresh. So they will FINALLY be done on friday. Now here comes the questions.
I'm off to columbus GA in a few weeks for my D44 axles w/ 5.13 gears. It's about a 11hr drive. I don't have a truck so here are my many options...
Rent a u-haul trailer and bring them back
Skip bringing them back and have a jeep dealer install them there n GA
Do I roll down there on 35s or stockers (MPG thinking)...not sure how the 5.13s would hold up on stockers on the return if the axles were installed.

I could install them myself here and save some cash but if anything were to happen would they be covered? Should I even care? Also what do I need for the lockers. Should I go stock or after market switches? Do I need a new alignment after the axles are installed if I had one previously done with the new tires and wheels?

Sorry if this is confusing but I'm very about my options as well. I did start looking into shipping them but it seemed to be WAY over priced. During the axle swap I would also be installing the JKS front and rear track bars (still need to order a front)
Old 02-19-2009, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

no help here?
Old 02-19-2009, 04:43 PM
JK Freak

They are used D44s so I'm guessin now there wouldn't be a warranty there. So I prolly won't go with a dealer install.

I'll just use the KISS effect. Get a trailer, pick up the axles, come home. Do the install myself and then let a local tire shop do the fine tuning. Or just let a local shop do the install.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by PONCH
They are used D44s so I'm guessin now there wouldn't be a warranty there. So I prolly won't go with a dealer install.

I'll just use the KISS effect. Get a trailer, pick up the axles, come home. Do the install myself and then let a local tire shop do the fine tuning. Or just let a local shop do the install.
Sometimes asking a question is the best way to answer it for yourself!
Old 02-19-2009, 05:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PONCH

i agree i think this would be the best way to go , its gonna be awsome what color did you end up powder coating the wheels.. both wheels and beadlocks black ?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:01 PM
JK Freak

Well a friend might go with a truck, he want's to hunt some pigs...lol.

What color did I do my wheels? Flat black wheel and......NEON GREEN bead lock...lol. Everyone does the black on black, black on red, black on blah blah blah, not so much the neon green!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

Is there any particular reason not to use a OEM wiring harness. Oh and we have a decent hobby shop on base. I'll run over there next week to make sure they have a frame lift.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:19 PM
JK Freak

The OEM switch has the sway bar disco button with it, and I don't have that...kinda sucks they don't make them with just the locker button.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ?

what I would do is weigh the cost of shipping Vs time and gas. you may be able to have the thing delivered to your door step cheaper

Quick Reply: Need some advice...lots of it.