Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

need some assistance!

Old 02-25-2009, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some assistance!

I'm looking for wheels for my '09 Sahara, and since my Jeep is only 3 months old, I don't want to buy new tires........so, how big can I go with tires on the stock wheels without having to also get a lift kit put on? I'm looking at putting on 1 1/2 wheel spacers to hopefully help with any tire rubbing as well as give my Jeep a slightly wider stance.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

There's been a lot of different theories on this as far as I can tell but the the most common answer that I've seen is 32". You CAN go a little larger but from what I've seen and heard, you'd get a lot of rubbing if you took it off the pavement.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

stock is 32"......you can go 33" without much trouble, depends on the backspacing, if you want to be safe, run some wheel spacers....
Old 02-25-2009, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sahara1
I'm looking for wheels for my '09 Sahara, and since my Jeep is only 3 months old, I don't want to buy new tires........so, how big can I go with tires on the stock wheels without having to also get a lift kit put on? I'm looking at putting on 1 1/2 wheel spacers to hopefully help with any tire rubbing as well as give my Jeep a slightly wider stance.
I'm trying to figure out what you mean here. First you say you want to buy wheels (rims) and don't want to buy tires, then you ask whats the biggest tires you can put on stock rims.

Do what I did, buy both. I've got no rubbing and I'm sitting on 305s. If you're going to stay with the 18" stock wheels, the biggest you should put on are the 285s, with the spacers.

Good luck. Have fun.

Quick Reply: need some assistance!