Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need your thoughts....

Old 11-12-2013, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your thoughts....

So, I added a spare tire license plate relocation kit to the right this past weekend. Normally, one would remove/cut off the stock third brake light. I left mine there with the idea that I wanted to replace it with a reverse/back light/spot light that comes on when I put it into reverse. I also want to put in the office of turning it on whenever I want. I think it would look clean if I could use the stock third brake light housing.

Any ideas on how I would go about this? Here's what it currently looks like:

Old 11-12-2013, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nothing? Nobody?
Old 11-12-2013, 08:32 AM
JK Junkie

Go to the write-ups where you can have aux rear lights and get all of your wiring set up. Go to the passenger tail light and pull reverse power from there- come out through the grommet above the taillight, go under the carpet and into the 'rope' piece that goes into the tailgate. Take the power across the tailgate and up to the light (you may be able to clip the wires somewhere and reuse some of the stock wiring to get up to the top of the mount). Put your light on the housing and enjoy.

You'll want a 3 position switch so the light can be on when you want it, on with reverse, or off (you probably don't want that thing lighting up on the road in the city).

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2013, 08:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

First -buy the cover for a "drop ceiling" light, like in an office. Cut the cover to the same size as the red cover on ur break light. That will make it a clear lens
Next remove the "guts" to it brake lamp
Next get an h3 bulb, an accessory relay, in line fuse, black, white, and red wire and a switch
The back of the relay box will have if wiring instructions as will the switch u buy. The rest is just routing the wires
Now the h3 bulb won't exactly fit right in the housing this is where u get to be a Lil creative. Me personally I like to use black make-a-gasket to hold those bulbs in housing their not made for.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Need your thoughts....