Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New Guy looking to go from Stock to Mod

Old 02-02-2009, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy looking to go from Stock to Mod

Hi. I'm Micah, I'm the new guy here.

Got an 08 Unlimited X with the 24S package as my "you did 2 tours in Iraq and survived' gift. Ad Now I'm looking to go from stock to modded.

It came with the Goodyear 255/75R/17 tires. They're nice and all, but I don't think they have the balls to hit the trails. I used to have BFG Long Trails on my Cherokees' ( I had 3 XJs before I drank the Kool-Aid and got a JK), and I really liked them. I'm looking at http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/BFG-Mud-Terrain-TA-KM.htmright now. Any thoughts from those that might have them? I can get 5 of them for $670 installed. Sounds like a good price to me.

I'm also looking at a 2" suspension lift from Rough Country. I know they're a sponsor here, and I've read tons of posts aboput them. What I'm asking about these is; as a new JK guy with limited auto mechanics experience, are these a good choice for my firs do-it yourself lift? The instructions look easy as hell. I think the only tool I don't have to do the job is a torque wrench, and that's a small purchase in the big picture.

Also on the to-do list:
-hard wire an inverter
-neon courtesy lights for the front under the dash
-one of the many varietis of rear lockable/securable storage containers
-reciever hitch
-stubby stock bumper mod
-JK stickers where my X stickers formerly lived

My end goal is to have a daily driver that the family and I can use for our weekend wheelin advenures.

Thanks for reading,
Micah

Last edited by Robar; 02-03-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Your list looks good. You might look at the Teraflex lifts as well. They are also a sponsor and Joe is super with customer service.

If you are going to do it once and be done, you should really think about what lift you are going with. If you only plan on 33's then a 2"-2.5" lift will be great. I would go coil lift over budget boost. It might cost a little more, but will be worth it in the end.

Welcome to the forum, there is a lot to learn here.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service.

We need to get an emoticon of one of those little face thingies doing a salute so that we can salute our service men and women.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Welcome to the forum Micah!
And thank you for your service.

This site is supersolid with support & knowledge. + You can check your regional forum and see if there is a wrenching party or throw your own and get some assistance.

Here's a link to WOL's write up for the Old Man Emu (OME) lift. Its a coil lift known for its great ride & the write up will give you an idea of whats involved in coil lifts in the range you're looking.

As mentioned TF is pretty popular on this site.

& I have to recommend Northridge (check mine or lots of others' signatures) for link. David is sponsor and active member. He's receptive to any questions and will give you straight answers rather then upsell you.

Good luck on your lift. Take pics. Post.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your service, glad you made it home safe. If you get a moment, download the 2009 TeraFlex Catalog from my sig line below. Feel free to call me about any JK needs/issues. No pressure here.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:21 PM
JK Junkie

Welcome to the Forum!!!

NICE KIDS

NICE PHOTOS

Quick Reply: New Guy looking to go from Stock to Mod