Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New Jeeper: which would you get?

Old 04-30-2019, 02:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Jeeper: which would you get?

Hi all! First off, thanks for letting me join the jk-forum team!

I'm on the hunt for my first Jeep (JKU) and wanna get your opinions on which is the best deal from the few I'm looking through right now.

They all have remote start, leather, heated seats and 430 Nav radio, color matched hardtop, any "upgrades" listed below for each. All stock tire size , no lift.

*Wet spots under each is water runoff from being washed right before picture was taken, fyi

Option 1: 2012, black, 84k miles, newer tires $21,000

Option 2: 2013, white, 75k miles, $22,900

Option 3: 2013, True Blue, 61.5k miles, 10A hood, soft top included, aftermarket wheels, needs tires $24,250

Ranked from least favorite to favorite and ironically cheapest to most expensive . I really like option 3 but it's the top of my budget. What do you all thinks the best deal?

Will be a grocery getter/daily for a little while. Thanks!

Last edited by DrKearnel; 04-30-2019 at 02:39 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Welcome. You answered your own question. Stay away from the 12. They have had some engine issues. The true blue is a rare color and for 1800 you're getting a Jeep with 14k less mileage. The late model 13s also have upgraded Dana 30s. Beefier Cs, 1350 u joints for when u do start to venture off road.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome and Option 3 all the way
Old 04-30-2019, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by casamtb
Welcome. You answered your own question. Stay away from the 12. They have had some engine issues. The true blue is a rare color and for 1800 you're getting a Jeep with 14k less mileage. The late model 13s also have upgraded Dana 30s. Beefier Cs, 1350 u joints for when u do start to venture off road.
The true blue one hit the market in April of 2013, so it's an early model, would it still have the head issues and other problems the 12's had??

Originally Posted by DEJK2012
Welcome and Option 3 all the way
Any reason why you say option 3??
Old 04-30-2019, 04:23 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I'd say the few extra grand for owning option 3 is pretty insignificant over the life of the vehicle. The one drawback is it requiring tires, but maybe you could use that as some leverage for a cheaper price. if you weren't in love with those wheels, you could probably buy new take-off rubi wheels and tires for cheap on ebay and bolt em right on, either selling the current wheel/tires, or saving the wheels for to mount new larger tires on later down the road. I'd pick option 2 second just due to '13 over the '12's seats.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I'd say the few extra grand for owning option 3 is pretty insignificant over the life of the vehicle. The one drawback is it requiring tires, but maybe you could use that as some leverage for a cheaper price. if you weren't in love with those wheels, you could probably buy new take-off rubi wheels and tires for cheap on ebay and bolt em right on, either selling the current wheel/tires, or saving the wheels for to mount new larger tires on later down the road. I'd pick option 2 second just due to '13 over the '12's seats.
Yeah tried the tire leverage plan, he won't budge on the price. Rockstar wheels aren't my top choice, but I like them better than stockers. I found a good deal on tires, but the '13 Jeep is at Max budget....but it comes with a soft top, so it levels out a bit (is what I keep telling the wife haha)

Are the seats in the 12' not as good? I noticed they're different for sure. I've looked at both '13s in person and they're pretty comfy seats.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:21 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

The seats in the '13+ were a big improvement IMO. I think it will just come down to personal preference on that color and if you value the hood on the blue one. I guess I would say this.....these things tend to spend your money will all kinds of things you'll soon want for it. Don't go over budget just to get in to one. Leave room to have a little fun with it.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
The seats in the '13+ were a big improvement IMO. I think it will just come down to personal preference on that color and if you value the hood on the blue one. I guess I would say this.....these things tend to spend your money will all kinds of things you'll soon want for it. Don't go over budget just to get in to one. Leave room to have a little fun with it.
Seat comfort is good, and I'll probably ignore that '12 due to that and potential engine issues

Haha I already have a long list of random BS I wanna buy for the Wrangler I don't yet own it's not that I don't have the money for it, just set my own budget so I can have money to finish up my other project I have going on (1964 Cutlass, LS2 swap)

Thanks for the advice everyone. Ill update back once I've made a decision!
Old 05-01-2019, 04:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I would buy the 13 but in all honesty for what you are looking at in options I would buy a grand cherokee instead. Its going to be a better vehicle for a daily driver. If you are planning on going off road I would look at for Rubicon model.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would buy the 13 but in all honesty for what you are looking at in options I would buy a grand cherokee instead. Its going to be a better vehicle for a daily driver. If you are planning on going off road I would look at for Rubicon model.
Appreciate the advice, but a Grand Cherokee because I want remote start and heated seats? It's cold up here in Michigan, and those are def nice things to have. I'll stick with the Wrangler. It will def see light trails and some overlanding, but not looking to have 37's or anything on it...yet haha

Quick Reply: New Jeeper: which would you get?