Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New member buy a 2012 this weekend, few questions!!

Old 03-29-2012, 09:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would insist on the 3.73's but the LSD isn't that essential IMHO (and I have it)... It has gotten pretty poor reviews by most off road rags. It might help with traction a little on the road but if you are going to get a lift and bigger (most likely wider) tires I doubt you are going to run into many traction issues.

PRO for the LSD:
- possiablty better traction on the road
- might help you a little off road but not going to be as good as a real locker

CONs for the LSD:
- more expensive ($295 for LSD w/ 3.73 vs $50 for 3.73)
- the jeep on the lot doesn't have it (you will have to wait longer to get it)
- requires more maintenance (when you change your diff fluid you have to use one with LSD addative)
- if you ever upgrade to a locker you will have to buy a new carrier (not that big of a deal but will add $55-75 to the cost)

I have seen JK's w/ 2inch lifts and 33's take on 3 and 4 rated trails with open diff front and rear... if you actually get into hard core wheeling you won't be impressed with the LSD and want to upgrade it.

I got the LSD b/c the one on the lot had it already so I don't regret getting it, but if I was in the same situation as you and I loved one on the lot except it didn't have the LSD, I wouldn't use that to stop me from buying the JK.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

i ordered mine. having what you really want makes the difference. as does not paying for the crap you dont want.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not want 3.21 gearing even with the new engine and better auto tranny. The electronic brake system the JK uses to limit slip works pretty good for most stuff short of rock crawling though. I don't think an LSD is a must.

Originally Posted by offcamber
Listen to the engine. If you hear a tick, stay away from it. About 50% of 2012's have bad cylinder heads...
Offcamber, can you link us to anything that supports "50% of 2012's have bad cylinder heads?". Because if so, that would be alarming since Chrysler is sticking the 3.6 in most of their product line. I read about yours and am glad it was fixed, but cannot see that as evidence that 50% of the hundreds of thousands out there are bad. Although...it is Chrysler we are talking about.....

Last edited by Yankee; 03-30-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yankee
Offcamber, can you link us to anything that supports "50% of 2012's have bad cylinder heads?". Because if so, that would be alarming since Chrysler is sticking the 3.6 in most of their product line. I read about yours and am glad it was fixed, but cannot see that as evidence that 50% of the hundreds of thousands out there are bad. Although...it is Chrysler we are talking about.....
I agree. Any issue affecting that many vehicles would be all over the media. I've heard of maybe 20 or so but that's a long ways from tens if not hundreds of thousands of vehicles.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by offcamber
Listen to the engine. If you hear a tick, stay away from it. About 50% of 2012's have bad cylinder heads...
That stat is completely made up and not possibly true. There are some that have issues but no where near half.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Well, I never bought the Wrangler today. The dealer screwed me around. Long story short, I will be looking to order a 2013 this summer. They couldn't find any vehicles with the options I wanted in colors I wanted and messed around with my trade in value. He also said he couldn't order a 2012 as yesterday was the final day for orders, this after I told him 3 days ago I was willing to order. Total downer!!!

Last edited by cdn ws6; 03-31-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

Well, all is not lost.

I got a call from another dealer today and he searched Canada for vehicle's meeting my criteria.

He found the following.

2012 Wrangler Sahara
Bright White Clear Coat
3.73 Rear Axle Ratio
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
Body Colour 3-Piece Hard Top
Connectivity Group
Engine: 3.6L V6 VVT
Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats
Radio: Media Centre 430N CD/DVD/MP3/HDD/NAV
Remote Start System
SIRIUS Satellite Radio
Transmission: 5-Speed Automatic (W5A580)
Wheels: 18" x 7.5" 7-Spoke Polished Aluminum

He is going to give me about $5k off sticker so I will know tomorrow if I will be a Jeep owner or not!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:57 PM
JK Newbie

sounds like a nice jeep, good luck with the dealer.

cheers pyeman
Old 04-03-2012, 06:25 PM
JK Newbie

Well, ended up buying it! I'm not sure when it is coming in but it is local to the dealer, although, 4 hours from me!

I am going to be looking to buy some aftermarket wheels/ 33" rubber, bumper and mild lift.

Once I get it I will throw up some pics!

Thanks for all of the help!

Quick Reply: New member buy a 2012 this weekend, few questions!!