Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New Mopar Hemi Kit

Old 03-29-2012, 10:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Boxer
If you are purchasing the conversion kit through your local dealer and the service department is doing the install, it shouldn't void the current warranty (on remaining components) and the new components will carry any related MOPAR warranty. Explicitly, crate engines carry a 90-day limited warranty. If this is marketed as a performance kit, performance parts through MOPAR have either a 12-month warranty (unlimited miles) or sold as-is (no warranty). The dealer, naturally, would have to stand behind the install.

For the cost of the kit and install, I am thinking Chrysler would have to stand behind it in some capacity. At a minimum, I think that looks like the 12-month warranty (from date of install).
All Mopar Performance Parts are sold without waranty (as is) and this has items like the lift, air intakes, etc... under this portion of Mopar. This will fall under that warranty. Mopar Accessories do carry a 12 month warranty, but that is items like the bumper with the Jeep logo cut into it.

I would expect the conversion kit to be sold as parts only. If you want it installed a dealership can charge whatever they want for labor (similar to the J8 kits). What one person gets for a price installed doesn't mean anyone else will get the same price, even at the same dealer.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll talk to MoTech and put in a LS3 before a Hemi when my 3.8 craps. Lighter, cheaper, better fuel milage, a better 6 speed auto tranny, and Jeeps are supposed to have small block Chev motors in them.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice but not worth the money for me
Old 03-29-2012, 11:44 AM
JK Freak

This may be a small step towards a factory hemi offering!!!!! Screw the conversion, I'll wait for for an SRT8 JK (or next wrangler model). I hope they will manage to get the performance of the SRT8 Cherokee into a JK without putting street tires and independent suspension on it though.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sooooo... if Chrysler can make a Hemi conversion, why NOT just make one production... this is silliness.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

3.73 gears, flowmaster 50 SUV exhaust and stage III AFI air filter along with a ProCal module and you have all the torque and horsepower you'll ever need with the 3.8 V6. Running 35" AT's, I can vouch for it; get's the job done. Anything else is just lavish splendour.

But if it's a want, then a 5.7L hemi would be sick. Better yet, throw in the beautiful Mopar Generation III 426 aluminium block...

Buuuut x2 - $6.00/gallon of gas this summer anyone? Big engines will be a rich mans thing, it already it for chrise sake
Old 03-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK
I'll talk to MoTech and put in a LS3 before a Hemi when my 3.8 craps. Lighter, cheaper, better fuel milage, a better 6 speed auto tranny, and Jeeps are supposed to have small block Chev motors in them.
I agree. I would rather do the Chevy swap myself. For the reasons you have mentioned and the fact that they are just better motors in my opinion
Old 03-29-2012, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryan0260

I agree. I would rather do the Chevy swap myself. For the reasons you have mentioned and the fact that they are just better motors in my opinion
How are they "better"? I'm all for opinions, but I'd rather see them back up but facts (read: pros, cons, and real world experience)
Old 03-30-2012, 05:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jksooner
Sooooo... if Chrysler can make a Hemi conversion, why NOT just make one production... this is silliness.
Because this way, it doesn't hurt the Manufacturers Fuel Milleage Average, and they don't have to honor any warranties. I haven't seen many threads complaining about the new Pentastar engine underperforming, so I think the conversions are targeted at pre-2012 Wranglers. For most of us, trading up to the Pentastar is a more viable and economical option.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by goaterguy
Because this way, it doesn't hurt the Manufacturers Fuel Milleage Average, and they don't have to honor any warranties. I haven't seen many threads complaining about the new Pentastar engine underperforming, so I think the conversions are targeted at pre-2012 Wranglers. For most of us, trading up to the Pentastar is a more viable and economical option.
Maybe what they should do is make an electric Chrysler Sebring AND a Hemi Wrangler. That way it would all even out, and I think more people would be happy about it on both ends.

I think the Pentastar has PLENTY of power, but it still doesn't sound like a v8

Quick Reply: New Mopar Hemi Kit