Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New to off-roading, could use some tips

Old 10-28-2007, 06:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to off-roading, could use some tips

Hey all, I just recently got my 07 Wrangler X and im loving it. I just recently started going into very muddy and gravel-like terrain and im running a full stock X right now, any ideas of what I should get? I know I could probably use some BFGs and a 4" lift along with some skid plates, but if anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. I also have the dana 30 axels with the 4.10 gears so im assuming I cant go over 33" in tires or else id loose too much power when on the highway.

Rob
Old 10-28-2007, 06:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

Welcome to JK-Forum sk8r1189. The FAQ is full of info and is a great place to start. Most of your questions can be found here.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/modified-tech-faq-answers-questions-every-newbie-has-18617/
Old 10-28-2007, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks a ton, will check it out.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:00 AM
JK Newbie

Don't forget to check some of your local Jeep clubs websites. A lot of them have Jeep 101 days for non-members that teach you the basics.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:12 AM
JK Freak

First thing to get before anything else..." Recovery Gear "
Old 10-29-2007, 06:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 1BADJK
First thing to get before anything else..." Recovery Gear "
Almost got it right... 1st thing is driver education, closely followed by recovery gear.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:36 AM
JK Freak

Driver Education comes with Experience.. You can teach someone all day long but until they get out there and make their own mistakes..

Experience is Knowledge.....

Last edited by 1BADJK; 10-29-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:34 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 1BADJK
Driver Education comes with Experience.. You can teach someone all day long but until they get out there and make their own mistakes..

Experience is Knowledge.....

Nope. Experience is wisdom gained through doing... knowledge can be gained without the benefit of personal experience. Yes, making mistakes can be valuable in education, but you're talking about very expensive/dangerous mistakes that could be spared by first gaining education... like the OP is trying to do.

Besides which, if you're saying that someone should go out wheeling without any knowledge, then they're asking for some serious potential trouble... i.e., not knowing how to avoid rolling on steep angles, etc.

We're basically saying the same thing, but there is a distinction.

Last edited by MJS_Jeep_888; 10-29-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Recovery gear - Yes! Before I am taking this Jeep on any trails I will be investing in an oil pan skid plate and a quality set of rock rails. Always go with another vehicle. Never go by yourself.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:19 PM
OCD
JK Newbie

Welcome -- this is a great site! I too am new to jeeping, and you are doing the right thing. Inform yourself as to the basic do's and dont's (such as what to do and not do on hills, sand, rocks, etc.). I would also say, if you are not overly familiar with jeeps/trucks, crawl under your Jeep and get to know it well. I got my Jeep in about April and had not been under a car or off-road for at least 20 years. After reading about the basics, I began the process of learning my Jeep and my skills. It's a remarkable machine. Some of the things I learned pretty fast -- speed is not good off-road; climb rocks slowly, don't slalom through them; know where your differentials are in relation to the terrain; air-down and disconnect your sway bar links; if you are starting to sink or lose traction in dirt or sand, don't gun it; never turn on a hill; practice backing up; carry some plywood in case you have to change a flat on unstable ground; it's always colder than you think with the top off; and never listen to a non-off-roading buddy who says something is a piece of cake.

Quick Reply: New to off-roading, could use some tips