Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New Pentastar Engine - Not impressed so far

Old 01-11-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikewadley
I had an '08 Rubi auto with stock wheels and a CAI and averaged about 19 on the highway. I just got back from my first road trip in my new '12 Rubi auto with 4.10s and 35" tires and averaged just over 16. The new engine is great but I'm not seeing any improvement in gas mileage. And yes, the speedometer was recalibrated for the 35" tires and verified with a GPS.
Thought I would update: Just finished a 75 mile trip thru the hills of Arkansas averaging between 55-60mph. I averaged 18.2 mpg so a little better this time. I did notice at 57 mph I was running about 1900rpm.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not to continue digressing, but I have seen close to 21 mpg in my sport with the 29's, - calculated, not relying on the hokey computer mpg. Putting 32" MTs on cost me about 4 mpg! That's almost 20% increase in fuel cost, which for my work commute, which means $40 a month extra. It looks anemic again, but I recently put my 29" pizza cutters back on, and enjoying the better mileage, less rolling resistance, and smoother ride. Paradoxically, it doesn't corner as well. These wimpy ST's must have jello sidewall stiffness compared to the MT's or something.

Back to the OP, at highway speeds in the 1500-2000 rpm range, the 3.6 makes the same torque as the 3.8, and only 10% more power. See the RIPP supercharger thread with the dyno test conclusive results. So, 2012 is all about proper gearing.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's the thread on the dyno tests and results:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ight=ripp+test
Old 03-16-2012, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Here's some information about my JKU and I also have a question (at the bottom)

My 2012 JKU now has 3500 miles. My commute is 44 miles round trip and so far I've been averaging 18.2 to 19.8 (depending on the traffic I had to deal with) between fill-ups (primarily inner-hwy). The majority of the time I'm stay around 65-70, but every now and then I get the urge to jump on it.

The 3.6L is nice and I do need to "step into it" for the response I want, but it gives it to me. This is either from a dead stop or whether I'm at cruising speeds. Finally getting use to it.

On the long open highway, traveling at 65-70 (6k altitude), I managed to get 22+ mpg ... this was a fairly level stretch of road.

I noticed that the gear ratio chart @ 70mph put the RPMs at:
33's @ 2288
35's @ 2426 (both green bands)

Currently I am stock and I'm getting the information above. I do want to lift approx 3 or 4" and get some 35's to wheel on and when I'm not wheeling, have the stock tires on. I have room to store the set that's not on.
It seems there's no need to regear with the 4.10s.

(I do realize I will need a ProCal unit and DSs.)

Is this making any sense to you all?

I appreciate any comments. (By the way ... this jeep rocks! Like all the rest that I've ever owned)
Old 03-17-2012, 06:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its an aluminum engine, like all the others before it will leak.....last example the cadillac North Star engine
Old 03-17-2012, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BadTrainDriver
I'm not sure you understand how the VVT works.
http://www.pentastars.com/engines/tech.php

Read that. It fully explains it, and how it is something that is always working.
BadTrainDriver,

I read the article ... pretty informative. Like yourself I'm not at 5k yet. But I will come back once I'm there and tell you what's happening with my jeep. I try to keep good tabs on it's performance
Old 03-20-2012, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AZMyke

I noticed that the gear ratio chart @ 70mph put the RPMs at:
33's @ 2288
35's @ 2426 (both green bands)
I don't think you can get higher rpms with a taller tire while being in the same gear, the rpms should be lower @ a specific speed.

Originally Posted by Enzo
Its an aluminum engine, like all the others before it will leak.....last example the cadillac North Star engine
What!? Most engines nowadays are made from aluminum. All of my 5 vehicles have aluminum engines, even my $97 Walmart lawnmower engine is aluminum and none leak.

Originally Posted by AZMyke
BadTrainDriver,

I read the article ... pretty informative. Like yourself I'm not at 5k yet. But I will come back once I'm there and tell you what's happening with my jeep. I try to keep good tabs on it's performance
VVTL is not related to odometer miles, it has to do with rpms and load and it is the reason a smaller displacement engine (3.6 vs. 3.8) develops more torque after 1,000 rpms and more horsepower across the band.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Enzo
The northstar engine leaks because it is a split block design. The viper engine is also aluminum engine and I have seen great things from that motor.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Blade

The northstar engine leaks because it is a split block design. The viper engine is also aluminum engine and I have seen great things from that motor.
Exactly. The only problem with the Northstar was that the heads would pull from the block. After GM released the TSB repair procedure with the inserts the problem was solved. And even at that most didn't have problems until the 100K mark or later. Other than that the Northstar was an excellent motor with a lot of technology behind it!

Last edited by deathboyardee; 03-21-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mlupacchino
In regards to the gas mileage.

I have a new 2012 JK Unlimited Rubicon with the 3.6 pentastar engine and new 5 speed transmission. I just came from a Unlimited Rubicon with the 4 speed and 3.8 "mini van" motor. The extra power in the 3.6 is much appreciated and noticeable right off the bat, however, something doesn't seem right. 1,900 RPMs to cruise at 56 MPH? The old JK could do the same at 1,600 RPMs and get over 24 MPG highway. I don't understand why a newer more powerful engine would take more RPMs to cruise at the same speed?

I'm getting around, I don't know, 20-21 MPGs highway at 56 with the new engine and worse figures with higher cruise control speeds. Granted there are only 120 some odd miles on it so far, but the old 3.8 would get better gas than that right off the bat, and never took 1,900 RPMs to cruise at that speed.

Anyone able to shed some light on the situation here?
Please let us know how you manage to get over 24 MPG in the old 3.8 V6?

Quick Reply: New Pentastar Engine - Not impressed so far