Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New soft top not reaching the windshielf

Old 01-05-2018, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New soft top not reaching the windshielf

I recently installed a new soft top on my 2013 Wrangler. The front isn't fully reaching the windshield, it is able to be latched but theres a gap between the roof edge and windshield that was not existing with my previous roof. I was wondering if this just means it needs to set and stretch or if this is an issue (and how I can fix it). Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Connect the windshield first, then do the rear; not what the instructions say but it works.

It will break-in after awhile.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I also assume temperature could be a factor if you are trying to work it while cold. I see you are in NH, so it must be fricken freezing there. I'm in NJ. Today is supposed to be the first day in over two weeks to go above freezing. The Jeep top will not stretch as much when cold.

Last edited by rob_engineer; 01-08-2018 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:18 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer View Post
I also assume temperature could be a factor if you are trying to work it while cold. I see you are in NH, so it must be fricken freezing there. I'm in NJ. Today is supposed to be the first day in over two weeks to go above freezing. The Jeep top will not stretch as much when cold.
Been a long time since I read the instructions, and mine might be different anyway, but I seem to recall a recommendation to not install the softtop when temps were below 50. When I bought mine, temps were in the 40s, and we made it fit anyway. Did not have a gap like OP's images show ever.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What he said! Always do the front header, as there is always a tendancy for the gap not to make up right and then you're stuck listening the annoying wind buffer through the header. When you get to the rear, grab the top corner of the side you're on, and give a slight pull straight down to help tuck the rear corners. You don't need to Hulk out on it...just some slight pressure. I've been doing it that way for years, and have never had issues. X's 2 on the cold weather comment as well. It's not going to want to stretch as easy as it would when it's warm out.

Originally Posted by doc5339 View Post
Connect the windshield first, then do the rear; not what the instructions say but it works.

It will break-in after awhile.
The following users liked this post:
doc5339 (01-09-2018)

Quick Reply: New soft top not reaching the windshielf

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: