Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New trektop nx model

Old 10-03-2011, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stuckyourself
Random question: has anyone tried putting the hard top on without removing the brackets that are held on the sport bars with the 13mm bolts? I am in need of "quickly" throwing the hard top on for security reasons on an upcoming venture
How did this go for you? I saw you got a reply that it should work. I'll be putting my hardtop back on soon and want to be double-sure it will clear those cable brackets that stick out on the side.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

We are getting ready to take the soft top off....how is everyone storing their nx soft top?
Old 10-03-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

anyone know if this NX soft top works together with any of the cargo straps ok? (Safari straps or dirtydog straps) thanks.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

Default Leaking and Tailgate/rear window issue

I installed my new Trektop NX about several months ago. I really like it, especially the looks, but it has a couple of flaws/design issues.

1. The top leaks a lot in the corners on both the driver's side and passenger's side, though fortunately it hasn't rained that much recently here in IA. I called Bestop and they told me to call Quadratec where I purchased the top. Quadratec is sending me a "warranty foam kit" to fix the leak issue. I'll report back on whether that solves the issue.

2. The rear window tailgate bar is a pain as mentioned elsewhere in this thread. It just doesn't seem to be designed well. Per other posts, I purchased the OEM Mopar replacement soft top tailgate bar (along with the plastic ends) and installed this. Works awesome. I highly recommend doing this, and it's a no-brainer if you currently have the factory soft top. You have to purchase the plastic end thingys or it won't work. It's a shame to have to do this but worth it if you want easy access to the back. It also has the rubber seals to cover up all the airholes that the NX top bar seemed to leave exposed. It's similar to the TJ type seals on the old soft tops.

I should also mention when the top was shipped they sent the wrong part - it was delivered with two left brackets where the cable attaches instead of a right and left. (I was really unhappy which is why I've waited a while to post my comments.) Bestop shipped out overnight a new bracket the next day. I've been very pleased with the quick response of Bestop's customer service even though they are addressing things that shouldn't have to be addressed. My advice is to call their support number, not email. So far so good.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Bouncing Header

Does anyone have a problem with the header bouncing from being buffeted by the wind, when it is folded back? With the continuous bouncing, I believe it could eventually damage the top. A strap is probably needed to prevent this from happening.

Last edited by Clay; 10-10-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

Random thoughts on the 4-DR Trektop NX, 6 weeks after install:

1) Still pretty damn happy with it. I love the look
2) After LOTS of heavy rainfall, there does seem to be a minor leak somewhere. I can't find it, but on a couple of occasions there's been a small amount of water puddled in the floor mat on the driver's side.
3) Finally got brave and drove around "bikini top" style for a few rainless days. I think this is my favorite configuration because I get all the breeze and "open air" feel without the sun beating down on my giant melon-head like a solar panel.
4) That said, getting those windows back in by myself was a bitch. I'm hoping they get easier each time, as I've been told.
5) Someone PLEASE give me the specifics on replacing the BestTop tailgate bar with whichever bar everyone says is so much easier to remove/install as needed. That TrekTop bar is a PITA. Had to teach the dogs to leap into the back of the Jeep without bashing their heads on the tailgate bar. Pretty interesting watching them try to jump high enough to enter, but still stay lower than that bar. It's still easier than removing it every time. I'm definitely down to replace it if I can get the specifics - which model, cost, etc.
6) Any storage ideas for the when those windows are out?
7) I'll be switching back to the hardtop probably over Thanksgiving break, any tips on storing the soft-top during the off season to make the spring reinstall easier?

Thanks in advance, everyone!
KD
Old 10-09-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oruacat2
Random thoughts on the 4-DR Trektop NX, 6 weeks after install:

1) Still pretty damn happy with it. I love the look
2) After LOTS of heavy rainfall, there does seem to be a minor leak somewhere. I can't find it, but on a couple of occasions there's been a small amount of water puddled in the floor mat on the driver's side.
3) Finally got brave and drove around "bikini top" style for a few rainless days. I think this is my favorite configuration because I get all the breeze and "open air" feel without the sun beating down on my giant melon-head like a solar panel.
4) That said, getting those windows back in by myself was a bitch. I'm hoping they get easier each time, as I've been told.
5) Someone PLEASE give me the specifics on replacing the BestTop tailgate bar with whichever bar everyone says is so much easier to remove/install as needed. That TrekTop bar is a PITA. Had to teach the dogs to leap into the back of the Jeep without bashing their heads on the tailgate bar. Pretty interesting watching them try to jump high enough to enter, but still stay lower than that bar. It's still easier than removing it every time. I'm definitely down to replace it if I can get the specifics - which model, cost, etc.
6) Any storage ideas for the when those windows are out?
7) I'll be switching back to the hardtop probably over Thanksgiving break, any tips on storing the soft-top during the off season to make the spring reinstall easier?

Thanks in advance, everyone!
KD

I don't know about the 4 door version on my 2 door i put my windows in the cloverpatch roll. You have to roll it really tight but they fit in there minus the rear window bar. I had mine in there for the heritage jeep festival and all was well when i took them back out. Hopefully my new NX that is coming thursday to replace the defective one i have fits as well. The rear window bar that comes with it sucks i switched it out to my stock soft top bar it works better.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Clay
Does anyone have a problem with the header bouncing from being buffeted by the wind, when it is folded back? With the continuous bouncing, I believe it could eventually damage the top. A strap is probably needed to prevent this fro happening.
Above 70MPH on the highway yes but my stocker did the same thing.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by buckeyejk
Bestop is sending me a new top, I was told there were some issues in the 1st gen design that have now been corrected?
I'm in the same boat as you my top is 1-1/2" too long the rear window is sewn wrong also. I got lucky enough to have the bestop rep's ear at the batam festival she pointed out where for i should take pictures and they are shipping me a new top. I did have the first 2 door NX ever made she said it was actually sewed in house in colorado by the sticker on it so i expected issues.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by buckeyejk
I have the 2 door JK NX and the rear flaps and falls in when I run with out the side and rear windows. I'm not sure what to do to stop it, I have to stop twice on my way to work to fix it. The 2 door model doesn't come with mount brackets for the rear support bar. It's really making me mad. I emailed Bestop a week ago and they never replied.
Email : leeanne.ackley@magna.com
CC: csbestop@bestop.com

Quick Reply: New trektop nx model