Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New wish list

Old 07-10-2010, 11:34 AM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New wish list

The wife is going back to school come September to a school she's been dying to get into for years. With that, had to get rid of the Jeep in favor of a commuter car for her. Still have our Grand Cherokee, so that will suffice until we pick up another JK when everything is said and done. So now it's time to start stock piling mods for the next JK we get.

In our business, we sell and only carry American made goods, and I will ONLY buy American made goods and buy their materials from American manufactures which really is important to me. So help me put together companies that fit this description so I can start spending our kid's college fund money on our next rig!!! hahaha

Suspension: I'd love to find a 5" LA setup, but can't find a company that makes this ize kit in a long arm setup. And from what I gather, Full Traction and ORE are the only true and true "built in America" companies. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Like to know more about Rock Krawler and other companies too..

Shocks: Need help here.

Armor: Going Poison, LoD, and Hanson Offroad. Maybe AEV, but not sure if they import their metals..

Tires: MT, GY, or ProComp. Any others? Going to 37 x 20 (No smart ass comments on the 20's, we don't rock crawl)

Wheels: Thinking KMC or MotoMetal - These guys are made in the US right??

Lighting: Thinking Baja Designs. Any input here??

Need more ideas and choices guys!!!! Really excited for this next.. The boss already told me stingers are out of the questions..

Last edited by rws; 07-10-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:06 PM
JK Freak

My first set of wheels for my JK were KMC's. Made in China was stamped on every one of them.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:09 PM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by backwoodjk
My first set of wheels for my JK were KMC's. Made in China was stamped on every one of them.
That's a shame, because they make some really good looking wheels..
Old 07-10-2010, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just in case your are interested, our Jeep is only 79% American which is better than most vehicles.

htt p://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/autos/1006/gallery.american_made/9.html
Old 07-11-2010, 06:02 AM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dr_Thrash
Shoulda bought a Cadilac Escalade, then you could rock 30" rims

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UHJoqagLTw
And what's that supposed to mean?? I'm really not interested in smart ass comments for little kids..
Old 07-11-2010, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by azxr
Just in case your are interested, our Jeep is only 79% American which is better than most vehicles.

htt p://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/autos/1006/gallery.american_made/9.html
it's nice to see that the top 10 most " American car" is 50% composed of Japanese car....

I work in steel industry making nuclear plant, Hydro-electric and aerospace parts, i can tell you that the only way to know if the companies use 100% American made steel is to get the milltest with chemical composition +Heat # + the name of all the mines where the elements to makes that steel grade where extract + the foundry where the steel is made + all the supplier tracking order. sometimes the paper box that came with the part is heavier than the part itself. I don't think that ORE, LOD or Hanson can provide you that much information with your order....and you will be surprised how many person touch that steel bar before you can put it on your JK , there is probably some Chinese ans Israeli somewhere in the process...

so your 100% American is probably only 25%...
Old 07-11-2010, 12:28 PM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Goldorak
it's nice to see that the top 10 most " American car" is 50% composed of Japanese car....

I work in steel industry making nuclear plant, Hydro-electric and aerospace parts, i can tell you that the only way to know if the companies use 100% American made steel is to get the milltest with chemical composition +Heat # + the name of all the mines where the elements to makes that steel grade where extract + the foundry where the steel is made + all the supplier tracking order. sometimes the paper box that came with the part is heavier than the part itself. I don't think that ORE, LOD or Hanson can provide you that much information with your order....and you will be surprised how many person touch that steel bar before you can put it on your JK , there is probably some Chinese ans Israeli somewhere in the process...

so your 100% American is probably only 25%...
See, this is what I really want to find out, where all the steel and raw materials are coming from before these "100% domestic made" companies begin their manufacturing process.. I know in our industry, we've been able to trace all the raw materials back to origin so we know exactly what we're selling.. However, we're a company and manufacturers care what we think, swo we have alot more tout than the average consumer.. I'm not so sure someone like you or I can find out what EXACTLY we're buying like you said.. There is a HUGE difference in raw material quality when comparing an asian made product and a domestic made product (US, Canada) We have alot of steel in out products, and I'm sure you know better than most, over seas steel just isn't that good..

I'd love for some of the sponsored companies to chime in here and get their view point on this..

Quick Reply: New wish list