Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Newbie questions about rear dif upgrades?

Old 04-22-2008, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie questions about rear dif upgrades?

so what's the real difference between Limited Slip Rear Differential and Electronic Locking Rear Differential and why would I want one over the other? I'm looking at a couple of jeeps at the moment (unlimited X auto) but the ones I want with the options/color I'm after actually don't have either, so will that be a problem?

I take it it's all for offroady stuff.. I won't be doing anything hardcore.. occasional beach rides to go fishing and light trails, and snow driving. Will the rear dif upgrades be something I'll really miss for that kind of use? if I do get into heavy offroading, could either be added on later, or is it really the kind of thing you should have from the get go?
Old 04-22-2008, 06:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The limited slip is exactly what it implies. It gives a limited amount of slip so that the outside wheel can spin faster around a turn. It does direct power to both wheels...but that is also somewhat limited. The electronic locker on the other hand is an on demand "spool". In other words, it's a standard open differential until you need it. Then with the flick of a switch, it is a full on, balls to the wall SPOOL.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
The limited slip is exactly what it implies. It gives a limited amount of slip so that the outside wheel can spin faster around a turn. It does direct power to both wheels...but that is also somewhat limited. The electronic locker on the other hand is an on demand "spool". In other words, it's a standard open differential until you need it. Then with the flick of a switch, it is a full on, balls to the wall SPOOL.
X2..we always called it "limitless slip!"
Old 04-22-2008, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK thanks. So, if I get a jeep that doesn't have either, is that bad? it just seems like all the searching I'm doing online there's very few other than rubicons that even have the limited slip.. I guess they figure most people getting an unlimited just want a convertable SUV :/

Quick Reply: Newbie questions about rear dif upgrades?