Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Next Wrangler Could Lose Folding Windshield, Gain Power Top

Old 03-06-2014, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Jeep grille, 4WD, a folding windshield, removable top and rear mounted full sized spare tire IS THE ESSENCE of a Wrangler. Removing any of these would result in it NOT being a Jeep. You can't take the wings off an airplane and still call it an airplane. Same here.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok.. How many of you have actually folded down the windshield on a newer Jeep? Its a usless thing anyway. Any good that could be had from folding the windshield down is imediatly lost by roll bars and the such. Most of you get different bumpers with spare tire attachments that are different from stock anyway so the spare is no big deal. The deal breaker would be no convertable top and removable doors.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would hope that 30-40 years down the road, when I'm dead and gone, someone will own my JK, rusted, stripped down, no top or doors, windshield folded down, teaching thier kid how to drive on the farm. Jeep needs to keep the fold down windshield because THAT is a Wrangler!

Sent from my unstable mind
Old 03-06-2014, 08:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fold down wind shield was a design feature in the original military jeep so it could be transported by train or ship to the line.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LittleGreenMonster
I would hope that 30-40 years down the road, when I'm dead and gone, someone will own my JK, rusted, stripped down, no top or doors, windshield folded down, teaching thier kid how to drive on the farm. Jeep needs to keep the fold down windshield because THAT is a Wrangler! Sent from my unstable mind
Exactly! I also don't think that it matters that no one folds the windshield down in modern times, but rather that the JK has the ability to fold down the windshield. When you think of a wrangler, a fold down windshield is one of the major characteristics!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My parents have the power-top through rugged ridge on thier JKUR. Honestly it's pretty nice, but there are some fitment issues at the header. I think it would be tough for Jeep to mass produce at a reasonable price.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRockBurner
The fold down wind shield was a design feature in the original military jeep so it could be transported by train or ship to the line.
I figured it was so drivers or passengers could shoot forward without busting the window.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

With the JK they made the windshield so damned complicated to fold down that its almost not worth it anymore. I used to fold down my TJ windshield all the time.

As far as a power top goes, i can see them trying to add something like this to the Sahara as another upsell feature, not my cup of tea though.

No removable doors = me never buying another Wrangler.

On that note same goes for the rumor of them going to an IFS system, IFS= me never buying another Wrangler.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justjeff
Ok.. How many of you have actually folded down the windshield on a newer Jeep? Its a usless thing anyway. Any good that could be had from folding the windshield down is imediatly lost by roll bars and the such. Most of you get different bumpers with spare tire attachments that are different from stock anyway so the spare is no big deal. The deal breaker would be no convertable top and removable doors.
I folded mine down once, but it was a pain in the ass, and miserable to drive.
So, I don't mind if the Jeeps lose the folding windshield, but the folding/removable top and removable doors are deal-breakers for me. I'd be sad to see the rear-mounted spare get ditched too, because it's part of the Wrangler's iconic look.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Guys remember there's going to be a lot if rumours flying around before the next Wrangler actually comes out, probably most of the rumours will be wrong. Personally I don't care about folding windshields. I'd like to see the "top" integrated as part of the body/ frame, not a seperate piece like it is now, with removable panels that could be hard composite or fabric, whichever you like; one removable section over the front seats, one over the back seats, and one over the cargo area/ back window. Forget the power convertible top, a waste of money on a Wrangler imho.

Quick Reply: Next Wrangler Could Lose Folding Windshield, Gain Power Top