Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

No Wrangler refresh until 2015

Old 11-27-2011, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard they're bringing a diesel option back for the Grand in '13...I would love to hear the same for the JK
Old 11-27-2011, 02:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what the CJ guys said about the YJ, then the YJ guys said that about the TJ, then the TJ guys said that about us.....
Now it's our turn!
Old 11-27-2011, 03:31 PM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lopezv123
Just give us a diesel option in the US... Fuel economy problem solved.
Again thank you EPA - why we have more strict diesel regs than Europe escapes me.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by blw
What will kill the Jeep is Obama and his EPA - the new corporate average fuel economy requirements may cause Chrysler abandon the Jeep unless they can get it over 25MPG average.
Well without Obama, Chrysler would have been out of business and Jeep would have probably died with it. Just sayin.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:41 AM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
Well without Obama, Chrysler would have been out of business and Jeep would have probably died with it. Just sayin.
Do a little research - the main reason for the auto bailouts was to keep the manufacturers from renegotiating their union contracts. The bailout was more for the unions. Plus, Jeep would have survived during a restructuring of Chrysler as it is profitable. And recall that Jeep used to belong to AMC etc. - it will survive as long as it makes money.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just show me a diesel option, and maybe a little better fuel economy and I will show you my new Jeep! I hated the JK when it came out, I had a TJ at the time, and thought it looked stupid, too streamlined, then I drove it...fell directly into love with it. I can only assume that is going to be the case with every new generation of the wrangler. Which is why I refuse to go drive the '12.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by blw
Do a little research - the main reason for the auto bailouts was to keep the manufacturers from renegotiating their union contracts. The bailout was more for the unions. Plus, Jeep would have survived during a restructuring of Chrysler as it is profitable. And recall that Jeep used to belong to AMC etc. - it will survive as long as it makes money.
At the time of the bailout, Jeep had the JK which was the only good vehicle in the lot but was criticized for lots of hard plastic. The Liberty, Commander, Patriot and Compass were all Daimler/Cerberus products and most of them were crappy plastic-laden decontented POS vehicles. Sales for Jeep were at an all time low and many of these models couldn't be given away. The brand could have died, kinda like how Hummer did.

As far as doing research, you'll notice they weren't "bailouts". They were very high interest government loans which both GM and Chrysler ditched as quickly as a dead cat once the banks (which were the real crooks - they got away with ACTUAL bailouts, money that the American people will NEVER see again) started to loan again.

The union renegotiations happened under the Chapter 11 umbrella, which was the only way to get the automakers back in the black. Legacy costs plus uncompetitive wages had to be cut back.

If McCain and "I-can-see-Russia-from-my-porch" Palin took charge, absolutely ZERO DOLLARS of government money would have been granted as loans. The bankruptcy would not have been government sponsored and would have probably dragged on until now. And yes, both companies would have went belly up. And as far as research is concerned, did you know that Ford shares about 70% or more of the auto suppliers that GM and Chrysler use? If GM and Chrysler went down, odds are Ford would follow soon after.

I still have a job in the auto industry thanks to THIS president. He's not perfect, and he's made a lot of mistakes, but for this one very clever act that saved the American auto industry, he has my thanks, my vote and my gratitude.

Last edited by ChryslerChris; 11-28-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:36 PM
blw
JK Enthusiast

...The bankruptcy would not have been government sponsored and would have probably dragged on until now. And yes, both companies would have went belly up. And as far as research is concerned, did you know that Ford shares about 70% or more of the auto suppliers that GM and Chrysler use? If GM and Chrysler went down, odds are Ford would follow soon after.

I still have a job in the auto industry thanks to THIS president. He's not perfect, and he's made a lot of mistakes, but for this one very clever act that saved the American auto industry, he has my thanks, my vote and my gratitude.
Ford took no bailout money and did well. I'm not sure if Chrysler has paid off their loans, and not saying they shouldn't have been offered some sort of cheap financing, but GM has not paid it back yet and may never given the stupid green cars they produce like the Volt at government behest. Also, I believe Bush initiated the bailouts anyway, including TARP, so you should give him some love, right?

Having said all that, I would prefer way less government intervention, especially from the regulation side of things. Ultimately it will crush innovation and productivity, and that should worry you.

In any event, thanks for helping to make a quality product, I love my Chrysler so far!

Cheers!
Old 11-28-2011, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blw
Ford took no bailout money and did well. I'm not sure if Chrysler has paid off their loans, and not saying they shouldn't have been offered some sort of cheap financing, but GM has not paid it back yet and may never given the stupid green cars they produce like the Volt at government behest. Also, I believe Bush initiated the bailouts anyway, including TARP, so you should give him some love, right?

Having said all that, I would prefer way less government intervention, especially from the regulation side of things. Ultimately it will crush innovation and productivity, and that should worry you.

In any event, thanks for helping to make a quality product, I love my Chrysler so far!

Cheers!
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/24/c...e-suvs-to-tha/ <-- Chrysler paid off the loans on the 24th of May, 2011, 6 years ahead of schedule. I'm not terribly impressed with how Chrysler was run before, and I have issues with some of their QC issues, huge issues with their tracking systems, and concerns about some of the directions they had been going - but lately they've been getting a lot better, and squaring away those loans was a good show on their part.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the time of the bailout, Jeep had the JK which was the only good vehicle in the lot but was criticized for lots of hard plastic. The Liberty, Commander, Patriot and Compass were all Daimler/Cerberus products and most of them were crappy plastic-laden decontented POS vehicles. Sales for Jeep were at an all time low and many of these models couldn't be given away. The brand could have died, kinda like how Hummer did.

As far as doing research, you'll notice they weren't "bailouts". They were very high interest government loans which both GM and Chrysler ditched as quickly as a dead cat once the banks (which were the real crooks - they got away with ACTUAL bailouts, money that the American people will NEVER see again) started to loan again.

The union renegotiations happened under the Chapter 11 umbrella, which was the only way to get the automakers back in the black. Legacy costs plus uncompetitive wages had to be cut back.

If McCain and "I-can-see-Russia-from-my-porch" Palin took charge, absolutely ZERO DOLLARS of government money would have been granted as loans. The bankruptcy would not have been government sponsored and would have probably dragged on until now. And yes, both companies would have went belly up. And as far as research is concerned, did you know that Ford shares about 70% or more of the auto suppliers that GM and Chrysler use? If GM and Chrysler went down, odds are Ford would follow soon after.

Very well said. It's ok to give credit where credit is due, which is something most don't do. I work for GM financial and I'm not sure I'd still have a job without those actions.

Quick Reply: No Wrangler refresh until 2015