Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

No Wrangler refresh until 2015

Old 11-30-2011, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
I take exception to your hypothesis above. The rest can be argued to be fact but don't underestimate your own home grown auto industry. Having worked in auto for 12 years, as a supplier and OEM, and seeing all sides of the playing field including the insides of Toyota, Honda and their suppliers, we're not only within striking distance, we're almost equal. The bankruptcies were our payment for sins committed in the 70's and 80's when our car companies got complacent. Things are different now. Expect great things ahead.
Sounds like maybe we agree more than we disagree. I wasn't saying the US auto industry as a whole is incompetent, I'm well aware there are tens of thousands of smart hard-working folks in the business. I was just observing (like anyone in the industry will admit if you get a couple of beers in them) that the insane overhead from high wages and benefits, and outrageous legacy costs are a (if not the) major hindrance to US auto industry profitability and longevity.

Back to the topic, it's also funny/ironic that the 2012 Wrangler was on MotorWeek last night, and their contention was that "[The Wrangler] soldiered on without notable changes until Fiat gained control of the Chrysler Group. The new management ordered a dramatically upgraded interior for 2011, and for 2012, their efforts to juice up this global icon run all the way to the ground."

Now I don't know if that's true, or if it's just coincidental timing. It's likely a combination of both. If it took some Italian dude in a $5k suit to demand they drop the Pentastar in the Wrangler, I for one say Grazie!

I wonder how much influence Fiat and their culture will have on any Wrangler refresh?!? I just hope they don't go overboard.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jsb432

Sounds like maybe we agree more than we disagree. I wasn't saying the US auto industry as a whole is incompetent, I'm well aware there are tens of thousands of smart hard-working folks in the business. I was just observing (like anyone in the industry will admit if you get a couple of beers in them) that the insane overhead from high wages and benefits, and outrageous legacy costs are a (if not the) major hindrance to US auto industry profitability and longevity.

Back to the topic, it's also funny/ironic that the 2012 Wrangler was on MotorWeek last night, and their contention was that "[The Wrangler] soldiered on without notable changes until Fiat gained control of the Chrysler Group. The new management ordered a dramatically upgraded interior for 2011, and for 2012, their efforts to juice up this global icon run all the way to the ground."

Now I don't know if that's true, or if it's just coincidental timing. It's likely a combination of both. If it took some Italian dude in a $5k suit to demand they drop the Pentastar in the Wrangler, I for one say Grazie!

I wonder how much influence Fiat and their culture will have on any Wrangler refresh?!? I just hope they don't go overboard.
Fiat has a very good idea about how to build sexy cars. PDO at Chrysler is finally allowed to flex their creative muscles again after being oppressed by Daimler and Cerberus for so long. Styling is back at Chrysler
Old 11-30-2011, 12:54 PM
JK Freak

as long as there is no ifs i am a happy camper
Old 11-30-2011, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blw
What will kill the Jeep is Obama and his EPA - the new corporate average fuel economy requirements may cause Chrysler abandon the Jeep unless they can get it over 25MPG average.
I would love to have my jeep get 25 MPG stock if it still had the grunt for off road driving. My 2 door got 17 city 22 highway. Modified i get 12.1 average. Fuel costs are pretty high at probably 8 MPG city

sent from my otterbox'd jeep camera
Old 12-16-2011, 06:23 AM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ms5490renegade
I would love to have my jeep get 25 MPG stock if it still had the grunt for off road driving. My 2 door got 17 city 22 highway. Modified i get 12.1 average. Fuel costs are pretty high at probably 8 MPG city

sent from my otterbox'd jeep camera
And I'd like fried chicken to fly into my mouth. You can't repeal the laws of physics, and nothing in the pipeline will give you this sort of mileage other than reducing weight and drag. That means no ladder frame, solid axle, high ground clearance, etc.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HumblePie
Agreed. The latest Defender concept is a completely new direction for the model.

Attachment 241940

Attachment 241939
WTF!!! Is that the next Mars space probe???

Quick Reply: No Wrangler refresh until 2015