Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

NOO!!! I MIGHT TRADE IN MY '08 for a '15!!!HELLLLP!!!

Old 12-26-2014, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
Excellent points. With my current job, I drive a company car and I spent the last couple days in my Jeep, imagining spending hours a day in it. I didn't like it and a Rubi would be no different. Must getting old. All that bouncing around gets annoying after some time. My goodness I sound old. I'll probably get a small commuter car that'll leave money left over for the mortgage. And again I sound old. Oh well.
This sounds more reasonable to me..use the money to get something efficient and comfortable for work use. Use what's left to fix your jeep and enjoy it for what it is.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spartan99
Excellent points. With my current job, I drive a company car and I spent the last couple days in my Jeep, imagining spending hours a day in it. I didn't like it and a Rubi would be no different. Must getting old. All that bouncing around gets annoying after some time. My goodness I sound old. I'll probably get a small commuter car that'll leave money left over for the mortgage. And again I sound old. Oh well.
This. I traded in my 02 TJ that was falling apart for a new 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x. I was commuting longer and wanted creature comforts. Let me tell you, power everything, heated seats, and an auto trans was awesome for a few years. Then changed positions. So I traded the Frontier for my low mileage 08 Rubi. I missed the jeep world. But I miss the truck on long trips or when I have a nice event to go to.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MontyJK08
I miss the truck on long trips or when I have a nice event to go to.
For some reason this part of your reply made me think of this: One of my favorite things I've done is take everything out of the inside of my jeep after wheeling then have it valet parked at a nice restaurant with no doors or top on. You know you've found a keeper when it's her idea and she hops out dressed up like it's perfectly normal
Old 12-28-2014, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK505
For some reason this part of your reply made me think of this: One of my favorite things I've done is take everything out of the inside of my jeep after wheeling then have it valet parked at a nice restaurant with no doors or top on. You know you've found a keeper when it's her idea and she hops out dressed up like it's perfectly normal
Sadly now that I think of it, mine enjoys that too...as long as she's not wearing heels
Old 01-02-2015, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
the other piece of this puzzle needs is also likely that your employer is not going to be real forgiving if your old Jeep Breaks down and you are late for meetings or trips, etc... if they are giving you the $40K+ to buy a vehicle they are going to expect you have a nice new vehicle with warranty coverage and the $$ to rent a car on your own if your vehicle goes down.... taking a 7 year old Jeep even "freshened" its still a 7 year old jeep.. that likely has been wheeled some and just by mere age and miles more prone to breakdowns (that you will have to pay a shop to fix... you wont have the luxury of time to repair it yourself).. its very possible to be "to Cheap" for your own good... the Company car miney cones with High expectations... I would be at the dealer buying a Brand new Work vehicle.. if your current JK treats you well. then keep it and go buy a nice "regular" car to use for work that is expendible.. something that after 3 years you have racked up 130K miles on you go trade in on another just like it... save the Jeep, keep it nice, wheel it, enjoy it.. but not expect it to be your bread and butter.. -Christopher

I agree. I was in a similar situation 3 months ago. I need a vehicle to commute to work and badly wanted the 4 door wrangler I've been drooling over for years. After test driving the new 4 door (I previously owned a TJ as a third vehicle but sold when moving to a new home) and thinking really hard about it, I decided not to get the Jeep as an everyday driver as it had to many strikes against it for practical commuting/highway use. Instead, I bought a moderately priced diesel sedan to drum up the miles.
A slightly used jeep is the future goal. This will be my weekend/ family memory maker. Unfortunately, it will take a little longer to acquire than I'd like but once I get it, it's not going anywhere. I just hope I can grab one before the kids get older. I'm not a fan of large debt and don't plan on taking on any just to get what I want now. Although it is very tempting:-)
Old 01-24-2015, 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So after a few weeks in the job, I have decided to use my Jeep. Here's why the JKU is perfect:

- As a regional guy for a company that does medical equipment, I need a truck or a van and my JKUX proved to do well when I needed to bring power chairs and personal lifts with me. Anything smaller wouldn't work

- My territory is all of NorCal and Northern Nevada, where the weather is perfect. I get to go all over these states with the top down and the doors off.

- On my travels, I will get to see all the OHV's I have wanted to see, but never had the time.

- Some of my colleagues also off road, so I will get to off road with them when I am in their neck of the woods.

Here's why I am keeping my used one and not going new:

- Company is giving me the cash equivalent, monthly, to a new vehicle payment. I will pocket that money and invest it

- My '08 has the lifetime warranty, so adding a lot of extra miles doesn't concern me

- My company pays for ALL routine maintenance, including tires, so that doesn't concern me. And obviously, since they're paying for maintenance, why not upgrade to better components each time right? Looking forward to my new Trektop, paid for by the company.

- They pay for washes and details

- They pay for the gas.

- After 88k miles, I am STUNNED by its trade in value. It's holding its value so much, which only makes me want to keep it.

- I know my JK like I know my wife. I don't want to start over and get to know another vehicle if I don't have to. It's funny how owning a Jeep feels like a relationship. It's a little weird actually. Love that thing. I feel like this is just another chapter in our relationship. I think I'll re torque the suspension bolts per Planman's write up on proper suspension maintenance while enjoying a beer and Hawaiian reggae. Then I'll just sit in my lawn chair and admire it.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Glad to hear you kept it and you are happy. My opinion has always been if it runs fine and you like it, keep it.

Quick Reply: NOO!!! I MIGHT TRADE IN MY '08 for a '15!!!HELLLLP!!!