Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Off Roading Spare Fluids Storage

Old 04-16-2018, 12:04 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts
Default Off Roading Spare Fluids Storage

What does everyone use to store fluids (coolant, oil, gear oil, atf, brake fluid, etc) in when wheeling? I get so tired of using a box or a plastic container that is never the right size for the various fluid containers, or that things fall over and roll around in. I’d love something that wasn’t permanently installed but could be secured in place when needed. I have a custom storage box/trunk in back which complicates things. I’ve been thinking of building something myself, and have rough ideas, but thought I might just ask what everyone else is using. For local trips or things not far away I typically don’t worry much about fluids, but longer trips that are to more sparse areas I usually truck this stuff along. Just trying to find better ideas to keep things secure.

I see a couple things on the market like this:

https://locktupfabrication.com/index...8c4bd8365b36bc

But that price doesn't thrill me, and that seems limited itself both in what it can hold, and how you could secure it.

I'm just brainstorming. If you use something that works well for you, I'd be curious to hear.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I have an Artec fluid
carrier bolted on the tailgate
Old 04-17-2018, 06:58 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Thanks Dirtman. Thinking you're talking about the "trailer quart crate" -

Simple 6 qrts + gallon Quart Crate

I actually kinda like that, but I have to jam my spare tired between the tailgate and the rear rollbar cross over.....maybe I need to look at that or building something similar...a narrow track that runs down along the wheel well instead of across the back of the tailgate. Something narrow running that direction would leave clearance for my spare when I have to truck it along.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Thanks Dirtman. Thinking you're talking about the "trailer quart crate" -

Simple 6 qrts + gallon Quart Crate

I actually kinda like that, but I have to jam my spare tired between the tailgate and the rear rollbar cross over.....maybe I need to look at that or building something similar...a narrow track that runs down along the wheel well instead of across the back of the tailgate. Something narrow running that direction would leave clearance for my spare when I have to truck it along.
This one is $10 more and I think has a better footprint. Racing Quart Crate - 6 qts, brake, P/S, 2 gallons
Old 04-17-2018, 07:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Mine has a top cover that secures the fluids in place and they can't fall out even if you roll over. Quart Crate - Gallon + 6 qrts
Old 04-17-2018, 07:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Helpful, thank you both.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

You guys plan things out too much. I try to make sure I don't wander too far out of cellphone tower range and if fluids are needed, I call me an Uber and tell them to pick me up the fluids I need.

Then if I do by chance plan to go off the grid, then I'm jamming whatever I can fit in one of these....
Old 04-20-2018, 06:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Rednroll
You guys plan things out too much. I try to make sure I don't wander too far out of cellphone tower range and if fluids are needed, I call me an Uber and tell them to pick me up the fluids I need.

Then if I do by chance plan to go off the grid, then I'm jamming whatever I can fit in one of these....
Ha! Local park is an hour from home....i don't take fluids or spare even...but take all my tools. Couple other parks are 3-5 hours from home...tools, spare, and fluids usually go but get unloaded at campsite. Colorado starts to get bit different cuz no campsite to offload at....and going to Moab this summer. It's bad enough with coolers and such strapped down....getting at more extreme angles where water level in the cooler starts to breach the top (cuz I don't have fancy Yeti!), and fluids thrown in a crate or Sterilite bin just move around so much. I'd just really like to have a nice way to have things secured for a Moad-type trip where need to have things on the trail and things gonna be moving around in back if not secured. I subscribe to the theory that I'd rather be the one offering help than asking for it, so I try to be as prepared for anything when wheelin'. This is just one of those things I've thought about for some time and would really like to come up with a decent solution for my specific build....sometime that is semi permanent.....very secure, but that can be removed when not needed.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll

If you've watched my videos about the trip I took two weeks ago, you saw where I was having engine cooling problems. I stopped at a mechanic's shop I had done a small bit of business with in the past. He also runs the tow truck service if you happen to break down out where we were headed. I asked him how much. He said he charges by the hour, and it would be 2,000 to 5,000 dollars, depending on how many days it took. I don't think Uber delivers there, but if they do, tip them well.

Quick Reply: Off Roading Spare Fluids Storage