Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Off Roading this weekend when I saw a Dirt Bike slam into a Jeep

Old 08-27-2007, 12:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off Roading this weekend when I saw a Dirt Bike slam into a Jeep

This guy on a dirt bike was hauling down a dirt road just before the off road trail begins and attempts to pass a Jeep that was slowing down to turn left. He must have been moving pretty fast as when I went to move his dirt bike, it was in 5th gear. Anyway, the jeep turn left and the bike ran into him. The biker attempted to turn his wheel but just managed to put himself between the jeep and the bike when they collided. He hit the jeep so hard that it put a major dent into the jeeps rock rail, window frame and fender.

To make matters worst, the biker was not wearing any body armor let alone a helmet. He is taking prescription pain medicine from a previous accident (that’s what he told the paramedics). The jeep guy was ok… shaken up but ok. The biker was not so lucky, his ankle had a compound fracture and his foot was in the shape of an S. Not to mention the swollen arm and shoulder. I helped him out, kept him from moving and called 911. He will live, but I am not sure if he will keep his foot. If his brother reads this, I wish him the best of luck.

So who was at fault? Was it the jeep for turning left or was it the biker for passing the Jeep at 40 plus MPH. Personally, I think it’s a little of both but lean more towards the biker for performing such a careless stunt. Thoughts?
Old 08-27-2007, 12:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im no law enforcement officer, but i would think its the bikes fault. blinkers dont count off road, but that would have avoided this accident. (im a blinker nut)
Old 08-27-2007, 01:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mikeyfl
im no law enforcement officer, but i would think its the bikes fault.
I agree. I think the biker would be at fault. I ride dirt bikes and have a JK as well.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:09 PM
JK Freak

why does there need to be fault here , its nobody's fault its just one of those moments that you wish didn't happen but did. life continues on peace
Old 08-27-2007, 01:12 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by possumface
why does there need to be fault here , its nobody's fault its just one of those moments that you wish didn't happen but did. life continues on peace
its your fault.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:30 PM
JK Super Freak

You raise a good point... is it someone's fualt at all. I like to think all accidents are avoidable if there are a set of rules to live by. Even off-road, we have our own rules… for example, when passing by someone, let them know how many are in your group.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:40 PM
JK Junkie

Well, that's really unfortunate, but the bottom line is that the biker was being reckless based on your description.

Now, if they were running side-by-side for a long stretch, aka racing, and the Jeep turned into the biker, bumper/fender first, that'd be a different story.

Given that it was on a ROAD by your accounting, albeit a dirt road, the Jeep should have signaled. And if the Jeep signaled, then it's the biker's fault. If the Jeep DIDN'T signal, then it would depend on whether or not passing was legal on that dirt road...

Seems to me that if you have to assign fault to one of the other, the bike keeps losing out almost no matter how you try to spin it...
Old 08-27-2007, 02:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think both are at fault, but the Jeep should have surveyed his surrounding and kept an eye on his mirrors, especially prior to turning. Use your mirrors.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:32 PM
JK Junkie

Old 08-27-2007, 02:35 PM
JK Newbie

Hay Rotorhead are you a helicopter rotorhead?
Tim

Quick Reply: Off Roading this weekend when I saw a Dirt Bike slam into a Jeep