Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

offroad opinions

Old 09-24-2007, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default offroad opinions

Ok so i see plenty of threads of compliments and comments people get while in the parking lot but how about on the trail?

This past weekend i was at Morris Mtn in Alabama wheeling with a group of guys. I was the only JK, there was a rock buddy, some TJ's, a CJ and an old Chevy. The park entrance is also the camp ground so when we pulled up i got out and disconnecting and letting air out and i could hear people saying "thats one of them new Jeeps, i dont think itll do to well here". I heard another person say, "Those new Jeeps are built for the street, not the rocks." So naturally i just brushed it off. So we start out on our ride and as we come to each obstacle i go the same place, same lines the more modded and trailered TJ's were going. By the end of the first ride i had the people i was with convinced of the Jk. After 2 other rides other people seem to come around abotu the new Jeep. Even had one guy who works at 4wd come up and say its great to see someone wheeling the new JK. He said he has never seen one on the trails before i told him plenty of us put them to the test all the time.

Anyone got some stories?

O and here are a few if pictures
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i1.../Morris%20Mtn/
Old 09-24-2007, 07:50 AM
JK Freak

Cool Trail.... nice to see you out there showing what the JK can do

Old 09-24-2007, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did the Rubicon trail with mine a couple weeks ago. Got some similar comments including the "nice to see someone wheelin a new JK". My unlimited Rubicon did GREAT. No issues and thanks to some excellent spotting the only damage was a small rub on the left rear fender flair and left rear corner of the bumper. No sheet metal or paint damage at all. Used the skids in a few places but hey thats why they're there.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JK

i saw a 4 door rubi on the trail w/me at Paragon in PA...

He actually did VERY well, I was impressed with the vehicle.

I will be looking at the 2008s to see the changes from 2007...

2010 I plan on a 2008 Tahoe, so maybe 2012 a new Wrangler?! or wait for the next one in 2017?!

but all (most) of the JKs I see on the street have the tops up when its 90 out, and don't wave back...

its almost enough to make you want to spin around and b*tch slap them
Old 09-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigJerm
This past weekend i was at Morris Mtn in Alabama wheeling with a group of guys. I...
That looks like a really fun trail! We should try to get out there before the end of the year. It looks like a stock Rubi can make it, what do you think from first hand experience?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tgrt
That looks like a really fun trail! We should try to get out there before the end of the year. It looks like a stock Rubi can make it, what do you think from first hand experience?
you would scrape the rails some but thats what they are for. From what i saw they had bypass but thats no fun. I scraped up my rails some, hit the skids a few times and scuffed the passenger rear fender coming up some rocks but other than that no issues. With the locker you would be good to go
Old 09-24-2007, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey BigJerm, over in Kentucky,where I do 50% of my offroading, they call those back roads. Really though, glad to see the JK,s out on the trails. Love my JK unlimited.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK Hunter Howdy
Hey BigJerm, over in Kentucky,where I do 50% of my offroading, they call those back roads. Really though, glad to see the JK,s out on the trails. Love my JK unlimited.
ha that was probably the lightest part there but the only part my co-pilot took pictures on. Other than Tellico im sure you folks out west got us beat.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Former Vendor

you would scrape the rails some but thats what they are for. From what i saw they had bypass but thats no fun. I scraped up my rails some, hit the skids a few times and scuffed the passenger rear fender coming up some rocks but other than that no issues. With the locker you would be good to go
Yup, not worry about scraping up the rails.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:20 PM
JK Super Freak

ha that was probably the lightest part there but the only part my co-pilot took pictures on.

I can verify this. I was there a few months ago. There are some challenging obstacles there.

Quick Reply: offroad opinions