Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Offroading at its worst

Old 09-15-2008, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Offroading at its worst

Not sure if I'm posting in the right area but.... Yesterday took the JK out to a notorious mudhole in my neck of the woods....NOT prepared (I'm a HUGE idiot) and long story short got stuck in the worst mud imaginable up to frame...got winched out after sitting in this muddy water for about two hours...NO clutch....now the fun part took all day to get it half way out with no luck...had to have a wrecker come and pull me out this morning....(Have I mentioned I'm a HUGE HUGE HUGE Dumbass???!!!!)

So a couple of questions follow....

Does having a lift and 33's def void the warranty?

I suck water into the clutch for sure....what to do now?

Any advice would help...I'm in the process of cleaning it now and man is it just caked underneath....

Please Please Please offer any help useful.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:00 AM
JK Freak

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Try putting a sprinkler under it for a few hours, works really well. As for the clutch, I don't think you'll be able to save it from the sound of it. The lift shouldn't void your warranty, but I think you'll have a hard time getting the dealer to fix the clutch for free when they see all the crap in there.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Last edited by whtIwrk4; 09-15-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:11 AM
JK Newbie

Your mods wont void the warranty unless it is found to directly cause the problem. The warranty probably wont cover your clutch, do to the fact you were shifting while you where in the mud, I am assuming. Did anything else get messed up or was it just your clutch?

Oh and BTW your not a Dumba$$ it happens. I and I am sure plenty here have had a moment while wheeling when you think "why did I just do that" but it is just part of it. I hope it all works out for you.

Last edited by sspronin; 09-15-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I learned my lesson when it comes to mud. Lesson is to simply avoid it like the plague. I burned my fan motor and fried some a/c switch and depleted the a/c stuff. Mud sucks unless you have a huge chevy truck with monster truck tires and a monster truck lift.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the club, sounds like the clutch is toast. Unless you have a really great dealership the clutch probably is not going to be covered under warranty. I think the repair bill on mine was about $1200 to replace the clutch and the slave cylinder after I sucked a bunch of mud and water into it. Look on the bright side I also scewed up my rear driveshaft at the same time so you are not quite as big of a dumbass as I am. I have not been near the deep stuff since.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

Sorry to hear about your mishap, but You need not worry about the warranty in this case. The dealer is going to call it abuse.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Angry Pictures

Well the Jeep is now clean...or should I say kinda clean after a days worth of power washing and scrubing & will be off to the mechanics tomorrow morning...

Here are some pics....

buried up to the frame.

and finally my buddies YJ that came and winched me out...
Old 09-15-2008, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

yep, I'd say that's definitely stuck! keep us posted how the warranty attempt goes, I've been in some stuff a little deeper than that but I've been lucky and haven't had to shift while in it yet. how clean did you get it? that's the part I hate the most...I usually leave it nasty for a few days so I don't have to mess with it right away.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Sorry about your mishap.

I avoid any kind of mud if I don't know how deep it is especially if I am wheeling alone. Its a long walk out of the middle of the Pine Barrens. Half the time I couldn't tell anyone how to find me out there on my cell phone

But that's not saying I haven't done anything dumb. I followed a TJ into a muddy water hole about 4-5 weeks ago. But he had doors on. I didn't.

Big mess inside and out.

In fact I finally got the last of the mud off the underside last weekend while driving fast through flooded streets in Wildwood NJ

I have an auto so no clutch issues. But from what I've heard there is no factory warranty for clutch linings any more than there is for brake pads and discs.

You would think that there would be some sort of water tight bell housing for vehicles that see this type of service.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-KJ
yep, I'd say that's definitely stuck! keep us posted how the warranty attempt goes, I've been in some stuff a little deeper than that but I've been lucky and haven't had to shift while in it yet. how clean did you get it? that's the part I hate the most...I usually leave it nasty for a few days so I don't have to mess with it right away.

I got it REALLY clean.... spent about 5 hours on it with a power washer and lots of soap....took most of the carpeting out and power washed that too....pulled almost all the drain plugs and power washed the inside.....

I'm not even goin to bother with the warranty...I had it towed to a friends garage so he could take a look at it....I'll keep you posted and give full details of exactly what happend in attempts of getting it out; it's really quite commical looking back on it now, although very expensive!

Quick Reply: Offroading at its worst