Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is oil consumption covered under lifetime warranty??

Old 10-24-2017, 02:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I like and use seafoam but it did not help the spark knock in my explorer. Seafoam did work an amazing job on a chainsaw that wouldn't hold an idle. About that smoke, when you put it in your car- that's the seafoam burning off and has absolutely zero to do with eliminating contaminants. Put that in a brand new engine and the same thing will happen.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll try some seafoam treatments while also checking the plugs, egr, and anything else that can contribute to the issue at my skill set and see how it goes.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Using Seafoam on my Mustang is how I found out I needed new valve seats/guides. After using it if it idled for any time at all I was getting a nice blue puff. Before, it didn't show any symptoms. It definitely knocks carbon off of stuff but sometimes can show you other problems.

Just because I miss her, here's a pic:

Also, I'm using a half quart per 1k miles, maybe a touch more.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My buddy drives a 2011 and has been tracking his oil burning problem through his dealership for a few months. They would do some maintenance, I guess try some fixes, ask him to come back and measure oil levels, etc.

They determined it was burning too much oil, and have basically rebuilt his engine's lower end under warranty. If it continues to have trouble, he's getting a new engine. I'd take the problem directly to your dealership and see what they can do.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:14 AM
JK Super Freak

How did you use it? In the gas tank or in the crank case? Or the intake? All three? Miss my Mustang too. Many years ago in highschool, I had a 1981 Cobra with the 4.2 or whatever v8. Replaced it with a 351 Windsor. It was fun because this was back in the early 90's when life was all about the 5.0. Having an early fox body with a carbuerated 5.8 instead of a 5.0 was exciting. Took the 2.8 and 5.0 badges, cut them and made a 5.8 badge. Flowmasters, 3.73's.... Miss that car.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks Erok.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
How did you use it? In the gas tank or in the crank case? Or the intake? All three? Miss my Mustang too. Many years ago in highschool, I had a 1981 Cobra with the 4.2 or whatever v8. Replaced it with a 351 Windsor. It was fun because this was back in the early 90's when life was all about the 5.0. Having an early fox body with a carbuerated 5.8 instead of a 5.0 was exciting. Took the 2.8 and 5.0 badges, cut them and made a 5.8 badge. Flowmasters, 3.73's.... Miss that car.
I used it in all three ways. Did the crankcase for a few miles before I did an oil change. I didn't care what it said, I didn't want it running in my oil for an extended period of time.

Last edited by Tactical_Geek; 10-26-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Currently using it in crankcase and fuel tank. I feel as though it is running better but the weather did cool down so it could be that.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Talking

Mine started using oil at 40k. Prior to that, it didn't use a drop. It went to 1/2 qt per 1k to 1 quart per 1k. I changed the PCV, and it dropped to 1/2, but not for long. I did that again and it had no effect. I tried different oils, with Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 seeming to more consistently reduce it to 1/2 quart.

Interestingly, oil consumption has suddenly dropped for no apparent reason. It barely used a tablespoon from 116k to 117k miles, and maybe used a cup from 117k to 118. I'm about 300 miles away from 119k, then I'll check it again. Weird.

Anyway, my dealer told me if it gets above 1 quart per 1k, they'd fix it with either a partial rebuild or a "new" factory rebuilt engine. It runs perfectly, so I've no interest in messing with it.

I (jokingly) thought that since it used 1 quart per 1k miles, and I'm on 6k mile oil change intervals, I'd never need to change the oil because it was changing itself!

As for pinging, mine seems to do it a bit during the changeover to winter formula fuel in the fall and summer formula in the spring. 89 octane totally cures it. Sometimes one tank of V-power or Techron fuel additive plus a couple Italian tune-ups takes care of it.

My 3.8's favorite drink, though, besides oil, is ethanol free 91 octane. It bumps my mpg by 1 and there isn't a hint of ping. It gives smooth power, and you can feel that it is very slightly stronger all through the rpm band. Too bad it is expensive, or I'd just run it all the time.

I forgot to mention that I change spark plugs every 40-50k. I'm on my 3rd set of Champions. I tried NGK's and Bosch Irridium, but both pinged like crazy after only a few thousand miles, so I chucked them. This old mill prefers the OEM Champion spark plugs, by a wide margin.

Last edited by dmwil; 11-05-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:21 AM
JK Super Freak

I'll start using higher octane fuel. Unfortunately gas prices have skyrocketed.

Quick Reply: Is oil consumption covered under lifetime warranty??