JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   one jeep down the other one maybe (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/one-jeep-down-other-one-maybe-172237/)

Four Low 04-07-2011 06:44 AM

Mind Games

The ever-rising fuel costs are driven not so much by real-world market conditions, but by Speculators . Hedge Funds don't gamble with trillions, they make sure their coin flips the "right" way. It's cheaper to make news happen, than hope for events to go your $ way. Remember, $1000 more in fuel costs per year is $3 per day. I don't let the needle go below 3/4, 1/2 at the most- otherwise "StickerShock" would kill. Shelling out less at the pump, even if more often, helps ease the pain. Back in 2008, when this "Happened", I panicked and sold my 2007 JKU Sahara and got an economy car and a 4x4 for Winter and hauling. False Economy! The cost of registering and insuring 2 vehicles, maintenance, faster depreciation = Pain. no Gain. Plus a Jeepless Life is only existing, not Living ! Now I'm back to what I want and need, 2010 JKU. Obviously, this is my OPINION, what works for me may not be for Thee. :brows:

db09JKU 04-07-2011 07:07 AM

We have 4 kids.

My wife has a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan.

I have the 09 Jeep JKU.

We spend essentially the same on fill ups, I'm about $3-$4 higher per fill up.

She gets about 35-45 more miles than I do per tank, with city driving.

So that is about a gallon and a half worth of miles, or $5.25-$7.

The pleasure, the fun, the excitement I get in driving my Jeep, with my Freedom tops out, or my top off, like yesterday, is well worth the added expense. What that Jeep has done for me, therapy could not do!:crazyeyes:

Yes, I'm sure, tiny compact cars and midsize sedans do get even better MPG than my wife's minivan, but as I mentioned, we have 4 kids. No car can seat all of us. The van, and yes, my Jeep, with the Little Seat, I can fit all my family in it.

If it goes up .50 to $4 here, that is $10 per fill up, I will just not go out to lunch as much during the week, one less meal, will cover it. Having my Jeep is way worth it. Usually we go out to eat as a family on the weekends. That is @$40 at a fast food place, cut one of those out, and the difference is made up.

When I have to drive the van, it really sucks, I just sit there dreaming about driving my Jeep, yes that is sick, but it is the best sickness, or addiction you could have!

The pure benefit of entertainment that my Jeep brings to me, is worth doing without on other pleasures, like eating out, movies, etc.

Jusaplaya 04-07-2011 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Four Low (Post 2215303)
The ever-rising fuel costs are driven not so much by real-world market conditions, but by Speculators . Hedge Funds don't gamble with trillions, they make sure their coin flips the "right" way. It's cheaper to make news happen, than hope for events to go your $ way. Remember, $1000 more in fuel costs per year is $3 per day. I don't let the needle go below 3/4, 1/2 at the most- otherwise "StickerShock" would kill. Shelling out less at the pump, even if more often, helps ease the pain. Back in 2008, when this "Happened", I panicked and sold my 2007 JKU Sahara and got an economy car and a 4x4 for Winter and hauling. False Economy! The cost of registering and insuring 2 vehicles, maintenance, faster depreciation = Pain. no Gain. Plus a Jeepless Life is only existing, not Living ! Now I'm back to what I want and need, 2010 JKU. Obviously, this is my OPINION, what works for me may not be for Thee. :brows:

I'm not one to sale much. I plan to hold on to my jeep for atleast 4 more years. I hate going into a dealer and signing paper work. It just makes me sick. I don't see diesel as that great an answer. It cost me $55 last fill up for the jeep. :yup:

Yankee 04-07-2011 08:06 AM

If filling up the Jeep is enough of your disposable income to hurt, then yes, it is the wrong vehicle. Not the Jeeps fault though, as it is a heavy, full framed brick with wheels on it. And of course, modding it only makes it worse.

RevyJKU08 04-07-2011 08:58 AM

With a trade-in hit on my JKU for a fuel saver like a prius.....I can use that loss for fuel in my JKU for the next few years, plus I would hate driving one of those fuel savers during the summer months. Currently costing me close to $95.00 to fill.:crazyeyes:

Wrangler_Jay 04-07-2011 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Biggy (Post 2214124)
I wish we were pushing $70.00. Its $90.00 to fil up in Ontario

Originally Posted by Biggy (Post 2215159)
I'm in the GTA. $1.29 liter last time I filled up.

^^^^ $1.35 a litre in BC... about $88 to fill up now. I have to say when you sit down and think about gas and cost it sure hits you hard. I just dont think about it anymore and pour and drive, lol.

I remember reading reports that we will go up to $1.60 a litre in the summer due to the Libya situation.

I think my threshold for gas is $160/ per two weeks. More then $320 a month for gas and I think I would start re-considering vehicles. I mean if Im still gunna pay that kind of money for gas I would rather be driving a V8 muscle car.

db09JKU 04-07-2011 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Wrangler_Jay (Post 2215504)
^^^^ $1.35 a litre in BC... about $88 to fill up now. I have to say when you sit down and think about gas and cost it sure hits you hard. I just dont think about it anymore and pour and drive, lol.

I remember reading reports that we will go up to $1.60 a litre in the summer due to the Libya situation.

I think my threshold for gas is $160/ per two weeks. More then $320 a month for gas and I think I would start re-considering vehicles. I mean if Im still gunna pay that kind of money for gas I would rather be driving a V8 muscle car.

See, I wouldn't trade my Jeep for anything else that is on the market. Seriously.

EDIT: Well maybe the JKU Truck Cop 4X4 built for SEMA!!!!!

Harbourone 04-07-2011 11:13 AM

I paid 1.39$/L this morning for supreme. The only other vehicle I would drive would be another crew cab diesel dually, so no sense in trading lol. Just gotta live with it.

Brknarrow1970 04-07-2011 11:20 AM

I was foolish enough the last time gas prices skyrocketed and regretted it until I picked up another Jeep Dec 2010, now prices skyrocketing again - F'em keeping my jeep this time around

dillUSMC 04-07-2011 11:21 AM

are diesel engines really that much better on gas???