Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Only running Freedom panels?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Only running Freedom panels?

My soft top's header has been giving me problems on the highway, and I'm considering just running the freedom panels in the soft tops place. In my 4 years of owning the JK, I have yet to try that.

How well do the freedom panels work in a daily-driver application and at highway speeds? Do you still get some wind up in the front seats, or is it pretty relaxed? How about getting stuck in some rain - are they useless, or pretty decent?

I've got a 2-door, for what it's worth.

Would love to hear your thoughts.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

a few weeks ago when it was nice out i ran the freedom tops with out the back or door for the entire week - it worked great. i was on the highway, cruising at 80 no problem
Old 05-01-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran like that for a little while and had no issues. As far as rain coverage, it's okay. The downside occurs when you are stopped and it's raining hard, you are going to get a little wet from the back outside corners where there is the gap around your sound bar.
Don't forget to flip the two space bars down on them so you don't drive the screws through it.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spacer tabs

When you are running just the Freedom Front tops remember to flip down the black tabs where the rear screw in mounts to the tops. It makes up the difference in hight without the roof on. I have seen people using a stack of washers to do the same thing......tacky!

As far as the function.....they are very helpful in providing shade.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you have the doors on, and the back part of the top off, it is great for DD. You still get some wind but not nearly as much as if the the whole top was off. It is also good for when it is really hot and you dont want the sun baking you. This is how i have my jeep set up for the majority of the summer.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CharcoalJK
When you are running just the Freedom Front tops remember to flip down the black tabs where the rear screw in mounts to the tops. It makes up the difference in hight without the roof on. I have seen people using a stack of washers to do the same thing......tacky!

As far as the function.....they are very helpful in providing shade.
Can not stress this enough....you can screw the bolt right through the freedom panel if the the spacer tabs are not down
Old 05-01-2012, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any pictures? Is this doable with the freedom hardtop?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:38 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sclan
Can not stress this enough....you can screw the bolt right through the freedom panel if the the spacer tabs are not down
Yea tabs down a must when only running front panels.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's how I like to run most times in the summer also. I find the sun too hot most of the time. Had a 08 Rubi and never used the soft top, sold it after a couple of years. Have a 12 unlimited now, haven't sold the soft top yet. Made a simple hoist with 2x4's and clam buckles, real easy now to get the top on/off...GI
Old 05-06-2012, 06:12 AM
JK Freak

I ran all summer like this for three years! I pulled all the drain plugs and just left them out. It works good in a two door and you stay mostly dry. Dogs got wet thou lol.

Quick Reply: Only running Freedom panels?