Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

OOPS! Redline!

Old 01-07-2008, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OOPS! Redline!

Yeah, I was doing some hill climbing in deep powder snow. I kicked a Toyota Sequoia's butt on the hill climb, however, I redlined the engine a couple of times. I dont think it got over 6k, and it was just for a split-second. I have 8,000 miles on the rubicon so I dont think it should be a problem. I was wondering if there is anything I should look out for at this point. The engine seems fine, but I was a little nervous when I looked at the tach and saw it hit the redline. It is suprisingly easy to do in four-low when it spins out on a slippery hill.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

I would not sweat it. The PCM has a rev limiter in it that cuts fuel and ignition to prevent over-revving. Running all day at redline is one thing. Occasional excursions there is OK.

Originally Posted by yellojeeper
Yeah, I was doing some hill climbing in deep powder snow. I kicked a Toyota Sequoia's butt on the hill climb, however, I redlined the engine a couple of times. I dont think it got over 6k, and it was just for a split-second. I have 8,000 miles on the rubicon so I dont think it should be a problem. I was wondering if there is anything I should look out for at this point. The engine seems fine, but I was a little nervous when I looked at the tach and saw it hit the redline. It is suprisingly easy to do in four-low when it spins out on a slippery hill.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

thats why its there. to limit the RPMS before it gets to the bad point. I bounced mine all the time in my import cars
Old 01-07-2008, 07:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know it has the limiter... I figured it did, but didn't have the nuts to find out myself!
Old 01-07-2008, 07:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by eisenjj
Yeah...No Problem!!!

The Rev-Limiter will always save your ass. I have been around sportbikes for some time and we bounce the needle off the rev-limiter all the time just because it sounds neat!
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa
Old 01-08-2008, 03:19 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies.

I just needed to put my mind at ease. I try not to over-rev things, if at all possible. It seems like this engine likes to be screaming to make its power, though. Not like the old 4.0 I6, which seemed to have a lot more low end power.

Quick Reply: OOPS! Redline!