Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Opinion of Chrysler's future

Old 10-02-2009, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion of Chrysler's future

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/to...ther-year.aspx

Worthy of a read... I wonder who will buy Jeep if/when it is sold... and will they honor the lifetime warranty?
Old 10-02-2009, 07:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Ford!?!?!
Old 10-02-2009, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by db99wj
Ford!?!?!
We could only hope! Can you imagine the Jk with a 4.6L V8 and 6 speed auto from an F150 right off the showroom floor!!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 09:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
We could only hope! Can you imagine the Jk with a 4.6L V8 and 6 speed auto from an F150 right off the showroom floor!!!!
I know.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd buy a Powerstroke JK. Pretty quick.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:34 AM
JK Newbie

Default future

I have my flame suit on...

but, as an FJ-40 and 1st gen 4Runner owner in addition to currently/previously owning 5 other Toyotas and 3 Lexuses (Lexi?)... I would like to see Toyota buy the Jeep name. My wife's minivan has 275 hp, my Lexus has 300hp and a 6spd auto (26mpg on highway), and the Tundra has almost 400 hp and torque.

My 1987 4Runner was built better than my 2009 Rubicon.

As long as the new owners don't mess with the essence of the basic Jeep, imagine what Toyota could do to improve it...

AND, they would probably be built in Kentucky.

Just my thoughts, I respect anyone who thinks differently.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by d-cannon

but, as an FJ-40 and 1st gen 4Runner owner in addition to currently/previously owning 5 other Toyotas and 3 Lexuses (Lexi?)... I would like to see Toyota buy the Jeep name. My wife's minivan has 275 hp, my Lexus has 300hp and a 6spd auto (26mpg on highway), and the Tundra has almost 400 hp and torque.

As long as the new owners don't mess with the essence of the basic Jeep, imagine what Toyota could do to improve it...

I don't disagree with you, Toyota makes awesome vehicles ( I have owned several). I really don't think Toyota is going to buy Jeep though. They have moved dramaticaly away from their former roots of capable off-road vehicles.

I have no doubt that if they bough Jeep that they would produce the most powerful and best riding Jeep of all time, but at what cost, the loss of almost all offroad capability (FJ or 4Runner anyone)? I rould rather have my quirky current Jk than a smooth, refined, and wholey incapable Toyota version.

Edit: The vehicles you mentioned are some of the most capable ever produced (next to the Jeep and possibly the older Power Wagon), but you are talking of the Toyota of 25+ years ago, not the toyota of today.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Then we could all die in horrible wrecks because of our floor mats???
Old 10-02-2009, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing some of the Toyota engines in the Wrangler.

My 2000 Tundra is capable of hauling a$$ up to the Eisenhower / Johnson tunnel complex. My 2008 2-door Wrangler can barely keep up with the semis and motor homes (ok a bit of an exaggeration). Unless I plan on Jeeping when I get there, I take the Tundra to the mountains.

What I can't understand is the Jeep is probably 200 HP. The Tundra is 245 HP. The Tundra weighs at least 500 - 1000 lbs more. Why does the Jeep feel so dang slow and like its going to explode before making it to the tunnel?

Now I do like the Jeep's short wheel base compared to the Tundra.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:08 AM
JK Freak

Stealing taxpayer money was supposed to prevent this, what gives? The baillout of 1979 was supposed to prevent it from ever happening again.

I don't care if they fail. But do we get a return if the gov't lets them hang it up?

Let Jeep continue it's tradition of having different owners every so often.

Quick Reply: Opinion of Chrysler's future