Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Opinions.. Bikini, Duster & Windjammer Summer Combo

Old 05-03-2011, 07:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions.. Bikini, Duster & Windjammer Summer Combo

Any opinions on this top...for a 2011.... 2007 have added costs is this still true for the 2011's or did they fix it ??

Bestop Bikini, Duster & Windjammer Summer Combo

edit....researching all the items that were recommended on a previous post... seems to be harder then it should, Quadratec should make it easier,,,,, or is it just me

So what's the best setup.?

Last edited by JK-jeepit; 05-03-2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: researching parts
Old 05-03-2011, 07:44 PM
JK Freak

I really like the look. If I had the money to drop into a set I would be running it instead of my soft top.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 4 door version and the windjammer is terrible, I don't think it's an issue with a 2 door however.

I do like the Bikini and duster, but I had to shell out a ton more money for the door surrounds since I only had the hard top stock.

If you had a 4 door, I would skip the windjammer.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by xerofall
I have the 4 door version and the windjammer is terrible, I don't think it's an issue with a 2 door however.

I do like the Bikini and duster, but I had to shell out a ton more money for the door surrounds since I only had the hard top stock.

If you had a 4 door, I would skip the windjammer.
So if I want just the bikini and duster ... And only have the hard top... Do I need these expensive door surrounds??
Old 05-03-2011, 08:02 PM
JK Super Freak

so the type of soft top I am looking for is one I can keep the bikini (over head) area on if I wanted, and the back area covered due to radio's installed in the back. this seems to be the best choice but after reading some other posts I'm not sure...

hope i described this right...
so everything is off but a bikini top, if rain is in sight put the top back on.... also having the option of having the bikini on or off.. also have the stock doors on.

Last edited by JK-jeepit; 05-03-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by NeverStock
So if I want just the bikini and duster ... And only have the hard top... Do I need these expensive door surrounds??

Yes and no. If you go doorless you don't need them. However it looks silly if you leave the doors on...

Plus, without the rear bar, the duster won't fit tight. You'll need to get the rear bar and two clips, yet another expense.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default well..

well.. i have the complete set up of the bikini, windjammer, and the duster. Mine is a 2 door. I have the door surrounds, windshield channel(which you have to have if you want to run the bikini), the sound bar cover, and the tailgate bar. on top of all that I also have skid rows top prop and i just installed the tonno (duster) prop tonight and plan on putting up a write up tomorrow..

now.. im not sure if best top still makes 2 types of wind jammers. there is the normal wind jammer.. and there is the wrap around wind jammer. the wrap around windjammer also requires the sound bar cap. i have had both windjammers and by far i prefer the wrap around wind jammer. if you are one of those people that cant stand any moisture in the cab of your jeep.. this is not the top for you. the way i have it set up now makes it pretty water tight but i dont get surprised if i find some in there. i definitely recommend the top prop and the tonno prop though because it makes the flapping non existant and helps keep water from accumulating on the top. I can post pictures of mine tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:54 PM
JK Junkie

I need to get the top props. Water pooling on the top sucks.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit
...for a 2011....
Let me make clear that I have no experience with the 2011s, but I have read that there are differences. You should research those well.

You should read this thread, which pre-dates the 2011s ...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...est-safari-top

Just a couple random thoughts based on other's comments above:

1. There is still no Wrap-around Windjammer for the four door. Folks have modified/and or force-fitted the two door Wrap-around Windjammer onto the four door. You can't use the Sound Bar Cap if you do that, so don't waste your money on it.

2. Mopar makes the best safari top. If you buy a Bestop, go ahead and save the price difference (it's a bunch) to buy the Mopar later once you find out how bad the Bestop sucks.

3. Mopar makes two versions of the safari top, both called a Sunbonnet (stupid name, great product). I've owned both versions. If you don't own door rails, get the hardtop version. It will have the gaps by the doors shown in the pic above. However, you really don't see those gaps unless your eyes can see over the roof of your Jeep. So, the unsightliness isn't really an issue. Obviously, if it rains water will enter there. If you have the door rails and softtop version of the Mopar safari top, you will be dry in that area--at least as dry as a factory softtop. But, you back end will be open. The Duster is a great product, but, as previously stated, the Windjammer will leave large openings (pic's in the thread I linked above).

4. The Mopar versions of the safari top have the header bar built in--no extra items required. But, the way that they attach above the windshield is different for late model years. I don't know if they've got application specific Sunbonnets for the 2010-2011 models. Check to make certain that it will work for you.

Hope that this helps.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:46 AM
JK Freak

Do you have something against just getting the soft top? If you put all of that on, you are gaining the noise of the soft material without gaining the ability to open up the top easily. I have never really got the idea of boxing up the compartment - other than it looks cool. You won't even get the easy open air that the freedom panels offer.

If it is like Colorado, there are some cheap soft tops to be had on Craigslist. I got my NIB for $600 for an unlimited. Lots of people buy the dual tops and then sell the soft top.

Quick Reply: Opinions.. Bikini, Duster & Windjammer Summer Combo