Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Opinions on Jeep I am Thinking about Purchasing

Old 03-24-2011, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Jeep I am Thinking about Purchasing

All, (noticed after posting that I can't spell "opinions", sorry)
I have the opportunity to purchase a 2008 Unlimited Rubi with 9,000 miles on it. The negotiated price is $33,000. It has the following mods. I was curious as to peoples opinions on what kind of deal I would be getting, ie, getting robbed, doing the robbing, pretty good price, etc. THANKS!

And these are his words cut and pasted, not mine, heh.

Three piece freedom top which can be removed with the large extra heavy duty roof rack in place.
Automatic transmission, which I was told is the ONLY way to go for serious 'offroad' rock climbing .
'MyGig 20-gigabyte stereo with intergrated navigation system and (unlike other wranglers), is bluetooth enabled and has the microphone to link to your phone. It also has the build in satellite system.
This JK has the full 'power package with auto start, alarm, power windows and door locks', etc..
Tow package.
Front & Side-impact airbags.
Electronic disconnecting front sway bar.

Some of the aftermarket items are listed below:

Teraflex 4" 'Long-arm Suspension system. The HD 'Track bar' is included in the rear.
Teraflex rear dual Cardigan 1310 was installed to handle the extreme articulation the suspension provides.
Mopar front winch bumber was installed as it would allow the front 'crash cans' to be retained for fully retaining the 'impact airbag system'.
'Mile Maker 10,500 lb. hydraulic' winch system with custom hydraulic winch hoses was installed to prevent failure due to possible high water encounters.
New tires were exchanged and installed at 2700 miles. They are BF Goodrich KM @ 37x12.5-17, including the spare.
The wheels are 'Pro Comp 8179' cast aluminum alloy, 17x9 which includes the spare.
'LOD' signature rear bumper with back up lights, anti sway spare tire carrier and two 'Gerry Can' carriers.
2- Vision X 6.7" off road lights.
Vision X 42" Xmitter bar. This lighting system is beyond description and by far the brightest light I have ever seen. This was the light bar seen "IN THIS POST'.
The LIGHT BAR has 80 Three Watt LED lights with a Warranted Lifespan of continuous use of 29-years. It appeared to me to give off more light than a sunny day.
The extra large roof rack (Wild Boar) is designed for removal of the roof panels (in place) and has all stainless steel fasteners.
Special machining was required to mount the Vision Light Bar system and looks extremely professional and as though it was purchased as part of the roof rack.

Last edited by Flaxbourton; 03-24-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:29 PM
JK Newbie

Wow sound nice, realy nice
Old 03-24-2011, 03:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you say sounds too good to be true?
Old 03-24-2011, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hook-Em
Can you say sounds too good to be true?
X2. I would find someone that knows about lifts and Jeeps and take them to check it out and go for a ride.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Abacabb
X2. I would find someone that knows about lifts and Jeeps and take them to check it out and go for a ride.
Well, I am having to purchase it sight unseen, so I have set up a mechanic to go by and do a full once over on it. He will be running codes on the computer, pulling tires off to inspect brakes, checking for leaks, straight frame, etc.

Heres a couple of pics of it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	141500Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	141501Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	141502
Old 03-24-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default check it

I would go the extra mile and have a shop that knows 4x4 look at it not just a mechanic. I don't see in the post anything about re-gearing,armor,CB. Very good gear on it. But i think it may have been done for looks which means a lot of the small details that will kill you on the trail may have been neglected. Not sure what a high water encounter would do to hydro lines or what crush cans have to do with the airbag system.

where is it maybe a forum member could check it out for you
Old 03-24-2011, 06:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Flaxbourton
Well, I am having to purchase it sight unseen, so I have set up a mechanic to go by and do a full once over on it. He will be running codes on the computer, pulling tires off to inspect brakes, checking for leaks, straight frame, etc.

Heres a couple of pics of it:

Attachment 141500Attachment 141501Attachment 141502
It looks nice but... I would find someone that is a Jeeper and knows his stuff as well as a mechanic FRIEND that can pull some codes, ect.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, the jeep is in the Lake Tahoe area, and I am in Louisiana. Found it online, and know nobody in that area.
The jeep is parked in a warehouse across a mountain from where the guys lives, and apparently they are getting some serious snow up there at the moment so he can't make it down to the jeep. I found a mobile mechanic that can meet a friend of his with the keys at the warehouse to take a look at it. He is on a time crunch because he is leaving for the season on April 13th, hence the killer price. However, with the snow storms, this puts a serious crunch on how extensively I can have it inspected.

Its a Rubi, so that addresses the gearing to a small degree. Granted, its running 37's so I will have to do something else at some point. One thing that stood out to me was that he replaced the rear DS, but apparently not the front DS. It also, as mentioned above doesnt have a cb. I guess I am figuring that it still looks like a pretty dang good price even with those two items and probably a couple other items missing.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:33 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a damn sweet deal. The way it looks I say this Jeep has been pampered like a little princess and only 9K miles. IMHO get your plane ticket and snap that beast up and take a road trip with your new JKU! before someone on this forum snaps it up! I really don't think you could go wrong with all the extra's easily +$10K with labour.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:01 PM
JK Super Freak

i noticed in everything that he has told you that the jeep is running on the stock gears. doesn't mention anything about axle upgrades either. so it's got 37x12.5x17's wraped around the d44's wich isn't bad, but add to cruising around on your stock 4.10's and you're going to hate driving down the interstate, or let alone trying to pass a a bicyle going thru town. but like others have said, without you personally seeing it i would have the vehicle taken to a reputible 4x4 shop and make then go over everything! i have noticed that there is more and more people out there that are willing to fawk you over then help you with a good deal. just my 2C

Quick Reply: Opinions on Jeep I am Thinking about Purchasing