Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Opinions needed

Old 11-04-2013, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions needed

I've got an '09 Sahara and still have original tires on it surprisingly. Bought it used last year. Anyways, I'm about to upgrade tires and as of now I'm gonna stick with the stock wheels, get a skinny 33 (275/70/18) AT until I can save up for the wheels and tires that I really want. I don't mind waiting another few years. However, I saw someone post a pretty sweet deal online for '13 Rubi takeoffs. Included are wheels, tires (BFG KMs), springs, shocks, control arms, for 1K. Would this be an upgrade worth purchasing?Figure newer shocks and springs from a Rubi would be just as good as a leveling kit. Plus I like the new jk wheels. Are the KMs not KM 2s ok on the road? I have a long work commute.

Advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being that they're Rubi springs doesn't mean much. Depends on the numbers for spring rates on your coils vs the new ones. If you have a 2 dr and the springs are from a 4 door, probably a pretty good deal. But if you're planning on replacing the wheels anyway, not sure I'd pay for the new wheels just temporarily. BUT then again, the price you're gonna pay for tires for those 18's would probably be more than the $1000 for the rubi take offs.

When I put my 2.5" bb on mine, my PLAN was to wait and save up for 6 months or so to get my new wheels and 35's. However, discount tire direct was running 9 months no interest on purchases over $1000. Perhaps something like that could get you what you want now
Old 11-04-2013, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kh202
Being that they're Rubi springs doesn't mean much. Depends on the numbers for spring rates on your coils vs the new ones. If you have a 2 dr and the springs are from a 4 door, probably a pretty good deal. But if you're planning on replacing the wheels anyway, not sure I'd pay for the new wheels just temporarily. BUT then again, the price you're gonna pay for tires for those 18's would probably be more than the $1000 for the rubi take offs. When I put my 2.5" bb on mine, my PLAN was to wait and save up for 6 months or so to get my new wheels and 35's. However, discount tire direct was running 9 months no interest on purchases over $1000. Perhaps something like that could get you what you want now

That is very true. I have yet to inspect my spring rates so the rubis could just be a wash. I've thought about doing discounts no interest since they are offering it now, just haven't made up my mind. I just know my duelers don't have much longer.

Thanks for the reply
Old 11-04-2013, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

Having modded three wranglers my advice on these things is that it's always worth waiting to get what you really want so stay cheap until then because money spent to go half way is that much less for later. Just my 2 cents...
Old 11-04-2013, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with above. I will save and get what I want the first. I won't spend money on something and turn around and spend more money later to upgrade.

Quick Reply: Opinions needed