Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Order questions

Old 05-29-2007, 06:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Order questions

New to this board--has been great.

Have some questions and am looking for answers/opinions from others.
Ordered a Wrangler Unlimited X on April 14th. Called the dealer for a status update and was told that " Jeep has stopped making wranglers at this time". The floor guy checked with the manager who supposedly called to check the status. I called Jeep and was told that they were not stopping production and that my status was 'BG'--approximateley half finished and they could not give me projected completion date till it reached the "D" stage. Have not yet re-contacted the dealer till I posted here--then will get after them to see what is going on. Questions:

1.Why would dealer do this--possibly in an attempt to unload some existing stock on the lot as the 08 introduction date nears?

2. Any idea of when the 08 models will be coming out?

3. Better off with an 08 cause of resale value and also cause of fixes to the first year model?

4. If I am still 2 to 3 months down the line, would I be better off canceling order and re-ordering an 08? Know this would probably "start the clock" again and the 2 to 3 month wiat I will have experienced is lost.

5. Any experience of how long it takes once get to the "D" stage.

6. Right now I am considering sitting tight till I get a firm completion date and see how far into the year I am. Since I gave them no money assume I am not bound by the order. If it is long time and 08's are out I may have more leverage such as:
a. Buy discounted 07 on lot even though not exactly what I wanted.
b. Try to get a further discount on the current 07 in the pipeline.
c. Simply cancel current one and re-order 08.
d. Check with some other dealers--course have no guarantee that they will give me any better delivery and will probably lose the 6 weeks I have already lost as they place their order.

My gut instinct is that this vehicle will not get here till this fall--at which time I will buying an 07 model at year end at full price and not properly discounted.
Maybe just a timing thing and cannot really do anything?

Or----maybe I am nuts--wish I didn't have such an additiction and could just go down and get a 4 runner no hassle, etc.

Any thoughts on my questions would be appreciated.

in need of wisdon and guidance--thanks in advance

Tony in Seattle
Old 05-29-2007, 06:43 PM
JK Freak

Unlimiteds seem to be in short supply in the NW. Certainly wouldn't hurt to check the pipeline report to see what other dealers have. I know here in Portland NW Jeep always has a great supply in stock whereas other dealers are lucky to even have one! Why would you be concerned about resale on a car you have not even bought? Guess I don't care as much as I tend to keep my cars. I wouldn't be worried about 07-08 differences.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Tony, I am kind of in the same boat, I want an 08 model to order but was told DC is so far behind in production that they are going to be building 07 for a long while still. He could not even tell me when they would accept 08 orders. Then the jackass told me that they could easily tack on 2000-3000.00 to the price( Ya know supply and demand BS) He then tried to sell me an 07 they have coming in soon ????? not even in post production yet. Nothing like having a monoply on the market
Old 05-29-2007, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony - search around - there is a lot of information on the JK ordering process, particularly in this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/check-status-your-jeep-jk-wrangler-order-status-codes-161/

1) For a quick answer - according to a number of reliable sources, if your JK is not yet in D status you will not be getting a 07. Your dealer will have to cancel your order and re-order an 08. They haven't stopped making 07s yet, but production will stop soon and there are too many orders in the system (at D status or higher) to support building more 07s.

2) 08 models should be available in September.

3) Your only option is an 08 at this point, unless you find an 07 and purchase it off the lot. Yes, resale will be better on an 08 - if you can wait that's probably the best thing to do.

4) Again, this is your only option on an order. Your dealer should be keeping a list of 08 orders to be placed. You should make sure you're on that list so that you are early in line for an 08 order.

5) Once you get to D stage you usually only have a month or two to wait.

Welcome to the JK addiction (and to the forum)!

Quick Reply: Order questions