Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Original soft top shrinking?

Old 09-01-2017, 04:59 PM
lre
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original soft top shrinking?

It seems crazy as I am writing this but is it possible my original soft top is shrinking? I have parked it outside in NY for 6 years and I swear getting the back windows on is a lot harder than when I first bought it.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is it time to look for a replacement soft top?

Appreciate any help, thanks.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first Wrangler had its soft top on all year for a few years. What I remember from that experience is that the top would expand a bit in warmer weather, making it easier to work with as the temperature went up. Also, I remember that I didn't necessarily keep the zippers lubricated for the first few years. After I started putting paraffin on them, the windows closed much easier. Lastly, I recall the material getting a bit harder/less flexible as time went on.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine's a '15, not entirely sure how it was treated by the leaser before I got it, but the zippers weren't good. After reading a half-dozen things that people use to lubricate them, I went with candle wax, in the form of a cheapo tealight. Works like a charm. Tossed a few extras in a baggie, figure they're also good firestarters in nasty conditions.

Quick Reply: Original soft top shrinking?