Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Overheating issues?

Old 08-27-2009, 09:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating issues?

For the past little while i've had my jeep overheat while offroad in 4lo, when my rpms are high (if i have to rev a lot to get up an obstacle or something), but as long as I keep the rpms lower and dont rev it too high for longer amounts of time its fine. I've taken it to the dealer twice and they said they cannot find any issues with it that would be causing it to overheat. Today, I picked it up after getting a new clutch installed and now i'm starting to overheat just in stop and go traffic....i have no idea whats going on or why?? my fan is working fine so i know thats not it....thermostat? any ideas? i had been playing in some mud but pressure washed the radiator really good...

help!
Old 08-28-2009, 12:09 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 07Rubi2dr
For the past little while i've had my jeep overheat while offroad in 4lo, when my rpms are high (if i have to rev a lot to get up an obstacle or something), but as long as I keep the rpms lower and dont rev it too high for longer amounts of time its fine. I've taken it to the dealer twice and they said they cannot find any issues with it that would be causing it to overheat. Today, I picked it up after getting a new clutch installed and now i'm starting to overheat just in stop and go traffic....i have no idea whats going on or why?? my fan is working fine so i know thats not it....thermostat? any ideas? i had been playing in some mud but pressure washed the radiator really good...

help!
Could be the radiator is not as clean as it needs to be. Or, when you pressure washed it, a lot of the fins got bent over, restricting air flow through it.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:46 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

I would start with an inspection of the radiator, not just the fins but the surrounding area and fan etc. for blockages or damage. Double check that there is enough fluid. Thermostat could be suspect, but I think if it didn't open the JK would throw a code and the check engine light would come on. I would think, but am not sure.

Are you running hot or really overheating? I know when I am in 4lo and running it hard and long, the temp goes up over normal operating temps, but not into the red, so to speak. May ask the dealership what exactly they did to it while it was in the shop - the mechanic not the service rep at the desk.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 07Rubi2dr

help!
I've overheated a couple of times and found the problem to be mud between the radiators. I pressure washed thoroughly several times and it never got better. Finally, I took off the top cover and the fan shroud. There was mud caked up so thick that no air was getting through. Now, about every second mudding expedition I do the same thing. I haven't over heated since I started doing this.

Quick Reply: Overheating issues?