Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Overlanding setup with 35's

Old 12-28-2014, 12:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark Collins
Mark: I see that you have an aftermarket front driveshaft. Did your stock shaft fail? I'm running less lift than you and hoping to not have to replace driveshafts. What failures have you had?

With my set up I'm expecting to have to replace ball joints at some time, but hoping that everything else will hold up. My Jeep is my DD and I don't do any serious rock crawling. I have less than 35K miles on it so far and have not had any failures yet, but have only had the 35s on for a couple of months. The rubi axles have c gussets, RCV front shafts, G2 shafts on the rear and ruff stuff dif covers.

I also really enjoy your videos. They are always an inspiration to those of us less traveled.
I replaced the front driveshaft when it failed--split boot spitting grease. IIRC, about 135K miles. I suspect that was just length of service along with the occasional full, disconnected articulation on some rock crawling trips. I've had quite a few other failures, but I do play pretty hard with my Jeep. Front axle half shafts got too much fine silty sand from running quicksand-filled rivers and wore down at the axle seals. New seals, new U-joints, machined down the chromolly axles where worn. Also have had leaks from the front and rear main seals, both well past 100K miles. Then there was the unit bearing that got contaminated--also after river running. Replaced both, and one failed within six months after that for no seeming reason. Replaced again and is running fine. TOB went 95K miles, then replaced. Put Centerforce clutch in at same time, but it was in good shape already. Have also replaced the BJs. First at just past 100K miles with Crown. They lasted about 25K miles, so installed Synergy. That probably does it. As you can see, the bulk of the problems are parts with lots of hard miles on them. I'm am not disappointed. Driving back from Houston today I must have seen at least three dozen late model vehicles stranded along the side of the road.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info Mark.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You also might consider flat fenders and no lift.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bear in mind that Mark runs 35's with 4.56 gears. I decided that until I re-gear my 3.73's that I'd run 285/70R17's (a smudge taller and narrower than 33X12.50R17's), which I really like so far. So much so that I may not regear at all. We'll see after this next Ouray trip. I just put a Flashpaq tune on yesterday but have only a handful of miles since flashing it.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:40 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
Bear in mind that Mark runs 35's with 4.56 gears. ...
4.88s that replaced the original 4.10s (came with the tow package in 2007). But this is a 3.8 with the six speed.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

I am one of those who believe in an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! A friend of mine had 35's with no added support to the front axle and it was bent within 1 year! Yes he wheels but what bent it and when?

The JK front axle is known to bend, so for me I stayed with stock tire size until after I fixed my axle. I did the artec truss, with gussets, control arm skids etc... then I went to 35" tires. Because I drive a lot I burned through the MTR's in a year so I went to 275/70/17's, bought some used Moab rims on craigs list with TPMS and got some 37's for wheeling.

I would run a smaller tire, save on gears and wear and tear and do a lift with some armor underneath?

Good luck!
Old 01-06-2015, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you all for the great input. After talking with TeraFlex I think I'll be going with a 2.5" lift with springs and shocks. Also throwing in the speed bump kit, for the crazy bumps we encounter on the forest roads at speed.
Also going to try and get a set of 35" MT/R's for my stock 17" Jeep wheels. With a 1.5" spacer I think I should be good for my initial setup. Will build in the gussets along the way.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:16 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by BradleyC
... Also throwing in the speed bump kit, for the crazy bumps we encounter on the forest roads at speed. ....
I really need to do this. The trouble with going with folks who drive other vehicles is they have that nice, cushy IFS and tend to forget what a jarring ride our SFAs can be. LOL.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:41 PM
JK Super Freak

My 2 door JK has a 3" lift and 35" tires with a RTT. Just took it from Phoenix to Colorado and back with no problems. Had the lift and tires for about 50,000 miles with no problems.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
4.88s that replaced the original 4.10s (came with the tow package in 2007). But this is a 3.8 with the six speed.
Small hijacking!:

Mark, do you feel the 4.88 are too steep for the 35's? I've got the 3.8 6 speed too and I'm torn between the 4.56 and 4.88. Not an over lander, more of a mud/rock sort of guy.

Quick Reply: Overlanding setup with 35's