Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Overzise tire question

Old 10-14-2013, 08:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overzise tire question

I'm not sure that this is in the right location so feel free to move. I recently had a 2.5" lift, 33" Kelly safaris and Mickey thompson classic 3 black wheels installed on my jk. 2 of my tires obviously weren't installed properly because they're losing air pressure by the hour. However, my question deals with the properly installed tires. How much pressure should I be losing over time? Is it something I'll need to check every month? Or should they be good for a long time like a car tire?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:32 PM
JK Junkie

Ideally you should check every month, even if there is no loss. The reason behind our tire pressure sensors is said to be to maintain fuel economy but I think it's got something to do with not shifting liability to tire manufacturers for folks running low pressure (unknowingly of course).

But yes- it should fluctuate the same as a car tire. Provided the tire has no holes in it, the rim isn't cracked, and the bead is clean you really shouldn't see losses. Older tires with some dry rot may be more susceptible to losing air though.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4
Old 10-15-2013, 05:43 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Well back in the day,it was check at every fill up.Now days either weekly or monthly.Also check when cold
Old 10-15-2013, 05:50 AM
JK Newbie

When running oversize mud tires I've found it hard to judge pressure by looks because the sidewalls are tough. Even with daily driving, once a week should be good but I would get those looked at; they shouldn't drop that fast, especially if they are new.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:24 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the quick responses guys. If you're curious about my story.. I took the jeep to a Chrysler dealership to get the lift, wheels, and tires done because I figured they would know why they're doing and not mess anything up. I was wrong. As I said 2 of the tires lose a noticeable amount of air every day. So I took it back to them and told them which tires were leaking. They told me the valve stems were loose and that they fixed it and sent me on my way. I checked my pressure later that night and in one of the tires I had actually lost more air than before. (That tire was actually at 4.5 psi this morning, and was 40.0 when I left the dealer). I took the jeep to a local tire shop today and they said the valve stems are bad and need to be replaced. The guy explained it to me, sounded like he was saying there is a rubber piece in the stem that could be dry rotted or was tightened too much? Anyway he said it would be 9.50+tax per tire to replace them. So I'm just going to do that and hope for the best.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sparks1013
Thanks for the quick responses guys. If you're curious about my story.. I took the jeep to a Chrysler dealership to get the lift, wheels, and tires done because I figured they would know why they're doing and not mess anything up. I was wrong. As I said 2 of the tires lose a noticeable amount of air every day. So I took it back to them and told them which tires were leaking. They told me the valve stems were loose and that they fixed it and sent me on my way. I checked my pressure later that night and in one of the tires I had actually lost more air than before. (That tire was actually at 4.5 psi this morning, and was 40.0 when I left the dealer). I took the jeep to a local tire shop today and they said the valve stems are bad and need to be replaced. The guy explained it to me, sounded like he was saying there is a rubber piece in the stem that could be dry rotted or was tightened too much? Anyway he said it would be 9.50+tax per tire to replace them. So I'm just going to do that and hope for the best.
Why are you running 40lbs of pressure? That has to be a rough ride!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jdambm
Why are you running 40lbs of pressure? That has to be a rough ride!
I was filling them up to 37, the dealer did 40. What do you suggest?

Quick Reply: Overzise tire question