Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

PETITION -- JK Clockspring & Airbag Light

Old 08-19-2013, 08:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
Since happening to me I have done research throughout this forum and other Jeep forums on the JK clockspring causing the airbag light to continuously chime on while driving. If you have a 2007 JK, there is a recall for the clockspring. If you have a 2008+ JK, there is no recall for the clockspring; though, there should be -- and I hope there will be. Personally, I am not about to pay Jeep $500 to repair a faulty piece of equipment that is causing a malfunction with my airbag and putting my safety at risk.

I filed a complaint with the NHTSA. It took me no more than 10 minutes to do. Here is what I wrote, "On the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (LHD) dashboard, the airbag warning light flashes on every other minute with a chime, an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags.This has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2008 Jeep Wrangler (LHD) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for potential airbag failure in the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (LHD) during an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around. Daimler Chrysler has refused to address the safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's airbags from properly deploying."

If you would like to get this matter resolved, not just for me and for yourself, but for EVERYONE, please take a few minutes to file a complaint and get this undying matter put to rest and for free. My cousin is also on the matter at hand, now. He is an attorney who specializes in matters like this one (vehicle safety and insurance), and feels there is a strong case here. His best advice for now is to get as many complaints filed to the NHTSA on this issue -- make it a big deal.

Thank you!

Here is the link to begin: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Click on where is says "Begin online form"

EDIT: Whether you have a 2008, 2009, 2010, etc. It would help out greatly to get this problem resolved once and for all. Feel free to use my complaint as a guideline to wording your complaint if you happen to be stumped with your words.

I have an 08. Mine failed and I paid just under $500 to fix it. I can't stand dash lights and won't allow them to stay on my jeep, even with my mods. Oh, I forgot to mention that my jeep has 13K miles on it currently...

Last edited by BKGM Jeepers; 08-19-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just happened on my 09. Gonna be interesting to see what happens. Have the extended warranty so we will see what happens. Checked the NHSTA site and still no recall for the LHD vehicles for this issue.

Will post back what occurs.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by red09
This just happened on my 09. Gonna be interesting to see what happens. Have the extended warranty so we will see what happens. Checked the NHSTA site and still no recall for the LHD vehicles for this issue.

Will post back what occurs.
Just has mine replaced a month ago I have the extended warranty so it was only $100 deductible

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 08-20-2013, 04:43 AM
JK Junkie

07 bought 2 years ago. Received a letter for extended warranty on it.
Replaced for free or refund up to 100k (I believe)
Old 08-29-2013, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

Another to add to the list. 2008 X w/77000 miles. Wife just called saying the airbag light started coming on and going off.

/edit - one too many zeros

Last edited by wharthog69; 09-17-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Added my complaint this morning.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Filed a complaint yesterday with nhtsa. Also, called Crysler and filed a complaint with them. I was told that it would be sent up. Hopefully the 08's and newer will get some freaking help.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:47 AM
JK Freak

Chalk another one up, I just filed online and will call Chrysler in the morning. I will not pay $500 bucks for their design flaws, and I will not allow the safety of my friends and family be jeopardized. We will get our way.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

Did a google search to find out whats up with my jeep and came across this thread. I have an 09 X with 67xxx miles. Drove it yesterday no problems, this morning it woke up my neighborhood at 4am when the horn decided it wanted to go off. it stayed on for roughly a minute or so, and finally stopped. Happened again 2 hours later, and again in the afternoon. When it stopped after the 3rd time, I pushed the horn and it wouldn't work, no matter where on the steering wheel or how hard I pushed it. I do not have any dash lights on yet though. After that 3rd time I disconnected the horn so I wouldn't have to hear it if it decided to go off again. Tonight I get in my Jeep to go get food and it wont start. I'm guessing clockspring...

edit-- I'm thinking my no start issue may be from disconnecting the horn due to the security/anti theft system but I'm not 100% on that.

Last edited by mosh-n-roll; 09-21-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, Add mine to the list. I have an 08 JKU X, 86k miles. I was out of town working in Wyoming and my wife called me and told me the light was on and I could her the chime sound in the background. I'm gonna file the complaint and call the local dealer to see if they're going to be of any help.

Complaint filed: Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10545008

Last edited by JKChad; 10-03-2013 at 07:37 AM.

Quick Reply: PETITION -- JK Clockspring & Airbag Light