Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

please help

Old 11-28-2008, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help

i just tried the painting my dash cluster mod and when i was finished my tachometer needle droped way below the 0 how can i fix this ?
Old 11-28-2008, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

i really need some help on this, if yall know of anything i can do to make it right
Old 11-28-2008, 06:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not quite sure what you did . . .
Please elaborate, with alot of detail.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

well i took out my gauge cluster to paint the plastic trim, and when i pulled the clear cover off i hit the needle on the tachometer gauge. after i was done with the paint and i put it all back together when i pluged the wires back into the gauges the tachometer needle droped down way past the 0, it all still works but the numbers are way off
Old 11-29-2008, 06:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me like you either got the needle out of it's proper setting by hitting it with your finger, and now must get it back in proper position, or you somehow kocked the tach out of calibration.
Is the needle off the same amount at all ranges or is it a different amount at different readings?
If it is off the same amount at different readings, then the needle is out of adjustment.
If it is off a different amount at different readings, then the tach is out of calibration.
I've never had the cluster out so I'm no help on how to get it back on either case, however once you figgure out whether the needle is out of adjustment, or if the tach is out of cal, a call to a local speedo shop may help.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:28 AM
JK Super Freak

There might be a set screw, like in older gauges that'll let you adjust it back to normal. Of course, you'll have to remember what the normal was when your power was off.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

ill try to see if there is a set screw ( man i hope so ) otherwise im not sure what to do i know if i take it to the dealership they will just say to bad and we can fix it for an ungodly ammount of money so im just not sure whatelse i can do but thank you all for the help
Old 12-01-2008, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bosscj351
Of course, you'll have to remember what the normal was when your power was off.
I'm pretty sure the correct tachometer readout for an engine that is not running is zero. . .
Old 12-02-2008, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Sounds like you hit it pretty good. You probably moved the needle on top of the post. You will have to find a way to read the tach from another source and then reposition the needle.

Quick Reply: please help