Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Por - 15

Old 09-14-2008, 05:01 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Por - 15

So I got some POR 15 and wanna use it in the Jeep before winter. I have a couple of questions.

1. As far as the undercarriage, what is safe to use this stuff on and what is not? What parts should I NOT rust coat? Is it ok to use it on parts that get really hot, like the exhaust?

2. Interior - Can I use this stuff on the bare painted metal floors? I have the rubber floor liner but thought this would be good extra protection. Will it adhere to the painted surface of the floors ok?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Hellbound13; 09-14-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:38 PM
JK Junkie

That stuff'll stick to anything. Don't put it on the rubber parts, or greasable parts. I'd keep it off the exhaust although they do make a hi-temp paint for that. The other things you should be concerned with are:
1. Exposure to UV's POR15 doesn't like the sun.
2. Breathing in the fumes. It'll stick to your lung linings just like it sticks to everything else.

Good choice on the POR15.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

POR 15 makes several different products, among which is an exhaust coating for manifolds. The Eastwood Company offers some cool stuff along those lines as well.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:54 PM
JK Jedi

Well I just did the inside of the tub. Seems to have applied fine despite it being a painted surface and not rough. Even put some on the door hinges. Its looks almost like a clear coat.

Now for the underside, what exactly should I be coating then if I should avoid grease parts and parts that get hot??

Also my garage was well ventilated but I didn't have a breather on. Hopefully Ill be ok.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:17 AM
JK Jedi

Well if you have two headed babies, you'll know you shouldda worn a respirator.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Well I just did the inside of the tub. Seems to have applied fine despite it being a painted surface and not rough. Even put some on the door hinges. Its looks almost like a clear coat.

Now for the underside, what exactly should I be coating then if I should avoid grease parts and parts that get hot??

Also my garage was well ventilated but I didn't have a breather on. Hopefully Ill be ok.
Hopefully you cleaned it first and used the cleaner they sell and the metal ready primer they sell. You will need to topcoat with something as por 15 by itself will turn really dull after time and even start to flake. It doesn't like UV. I have used this stuff for a long time and will attest to it's quality but you need to follow their advice. If you didn't clean and prime properly, I expect it will be coming off soon.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:35 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Bodo
Hopefully you cleaned it first and used the cleaner they sell and the metal ready primer they sell. You will need to topcoat with something as por 15 by itself will turn really dull after time and even start to flake. It doesn't like UV. I have used this stuff for a long time and will attest to it's quality but you need to follow their advice. If you didn't clean and prime properly, I expect it will be coming off soon.
I did not because I thought that stuff my affect the paint coat on the floor and hinges. Looks like it will be coming off. *crosses fingers*
Old 09-16-2008, 02:38 PM
dsy
JK Freak

You guys talked me into it. I've got the body off my JK right now and could not believe how much rust there is on the frame and well about everything else underside. I'm doing the entire frame and everything else I can get at with the por15 treatment, clean, por15, self etching primer, and hardnose two part top coat.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:43 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by dsy
You guys talked me into it. I've got the body off my JK right now and could not believe how much rust there is on the frame and well about everything else underside. I'm doing the entire frame and everything else I can get at with the por15 treatment, clean, por15, self etching primer, and hardnose two part top coat.
You got the body off? PICTURES.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:46 PM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
You got the body off? PICTURES.
Have not been posting very much to that thread. Kind of a hijack but here ya go.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quick Reply: Por - 15