Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Possibly a new JK owner, hi and any advice?

Old 06-21-2007, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you buy... you should read this thread. Knowledge is power.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=2634&page=21

I wish I read this before I bought my lemon JK.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

Wow... definitely something to consider.... especially with the short 36,000 mile warranty...
Old 06-22-2007, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

I'm going to a JK it just a matter on when! I'm going to watch and see what happens to the 08's for about year I guess....

I go to sleep thinking about the JK and wake up thinking about it and I ache when I see one.... its turned into a phobia... the JKless Phobia.

I'm look'n into 99 Cherokee to drive in the mean time... loss my Vue in the JK trade-in for my lemon.
I need a bumper sticker for the Xj that says "I wanna be A JK when I grow up" LOL (I bet I just pis'd off someone)

Beat of Luck man
Old 06-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have negatives against my Jeep. But i would buy it again regardless. Toad is right, there is negs in everything if you want there to be.

I love my jeep, i think i will likely always own one now.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Newtybar
Hello,

Ive been stalking the forums for the past few days after I decided I needed to drive something more practical (hah! more practical you say!? yes... ineed it is more practical than my two seater with no trunk).

Jeep made a stride to gain market share and increase its owner base with the new 4 door Unlimited, it worked... for me at least.. I want one.

I know you old timers are all about rugged rugged rugged... and it must be rugged.. "bah electric windows! scoff! whhaaat why have heated seating?! BAAH! Nice interior WTF FOR?! we are offff roooadddinnn!" ... I get it.. but that's not totally me.

I appreciate the additional doors... the increased space... the smoother ride and better interior... It's a compromise I'm looking for somewhat practical enough... but still fun.

I'm 25... establishing a career... looking to still have fun.. but will need more space now... my car has stiff suspension so I am used to a harsh ride.. although I probably won't like the slowness of a Jeep. I am looking to pick up a new hobby and off roading fits the bill.

I plan to lift it 2 - 2.5" and get 33s. Still deciding on auto or manual... I love manual but it may be different on a Jeep and considering I'm new to offroading auto may be easier.

I have a few questions... do you think I should rent for a week before I buy or will a test drive be enough?

I see these lifts called "levelers" what exactly are those.. I noticed theres a 1.75" one but does not offer new struts or springs... does this harshen the ride? ... and im guessing it wont do anything to increase suspension travel.

The hardtop ... do you guys just leave it in the garage or can it be folded and stored in the rear?

Theft... I plan on getting a MyGig in dash nav and entertainment system or the Pioneer AVIC... with the hardtop in the garage what theft deterrent is there? Is the mygig removable? Should I just get a softop that can fold down.. but Im tired of windnoise hahaha.

Is there snowboard racks available for the JK... i cant find any.

Thanks guys!
It is my opinion that manual is better for towing and off roading.

&I agree with a lot of the things you mentioned about the comfort amenities that the loaded JK offers verses the older model Jeeps.
The JK is a great all around vehical.
(I just wish it got better gas mileage.)

With that said, my next mod will be the K&N airaid- that should help the Gas mileage and beef it up a bit.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dizzyliz
It is my opinion that manual is better for towing and off roading.
While could I see that manual is better for towing, I believe auto is the way to go for offroading. I have seen people really make a lot more mistakes when there is a clutch involved (especially on hills).
Old 06-22-2007, 10:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by toad
Since all I drive is automatic...that's what I have. But alot of the more experienced drivers have also told me that an automatic is the way to go. It depends on personal preference.
Very true

I have always had a stick in every vehical I have owned.
Learned how to drive in one.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:25 AM
JK Freak

I have driven both auto and stick in my lifetime... 4 years auto, 4 years stick ... I love the stick for the fun factor and control you get... its not so bad... but sometimes there are times when I wish my car was just auto and I could just cruiiiise. I think it would be harder to off road.. but at the same time.. I like the full control factor. I think it adds another layer to the strategy involved. When to shift, what gear to be in, you can personalize your driving and add more finesse.

Quick Reply: Possibly a new JK owner, hi and any advice?