Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Pressure Washers?

Old 06-07-2018, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressure Washers?

Having recently started actually taking my Jeep offroad, I have discovered how dirty it can get. Although I don't seek it out, there is always some mud.

Poking around, it looks like a lot of you use a pressure washer.

1. Any specific recommendations for which pressure washer to buy? (or avoid?)

2. Things to be careful about when using a pressure washer on a Jeep?

3. Any reason not to use a pressure washer?

Thanks all!

-Bob
Old 06-07-2018, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use one from Harbor freight. About 80 bucks or less with coupon. It is 1750 psi and has never done any damage to the Jeep or 50th Anniversary Mustang.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I've had an electric 1750psi washer before, and now have a gas washer that is 2550psi. IMO, the cheap electric jobbies aren't that bad. They deliver enough psi to get the job done washing a car, are priced accordingly, and are easy to store as their slim designs take up little space in the garage. I've had two in the past actually....both of which lasted a couple years each prior to the valving/pumps crapping out and it just not being worth the effort to jack with vs. buying a new unit. If you're just washing the jeep, this isn't a bad way to go. If you're going to want to clean concrete driveways, fences, house siding, patios and such, you need a bit more heavy duty IMO.

I currently have a gas powered unit with a TroyBilt engine. I've had it for probably 8-10 years now. The gas units typically cost between $300-$400. It's not like 2550psi is knock your socks off difference over the electric 1750psi though....not like home vs. commercial difference, but it has definitely held up better for me. The real downside is just the size and space the unit takes up to store........for something you dig out every now and then.

If you look at gas units, keep in mind it's just an engine plopped on common water pump and crap. Buying a "Honda" isn't netting you an overly superior washer vs. a TroyBilt for example. The problems are never the engines or electrics, the problems are the pumps, unloader valves, etc.....none of which are produced by the engine's company. Keep em clean and cared for. I typically blow all the water out of the hose, water inlet/outlets and such with air compressor when done. Even on my gas unit I've had to disassemble the unloader valve, clean, and fiddle with it before. If you have harder water.......that will take its toll on the parts.

You're not going to damage anything on the jeep with any pressure washer you're going to purchase for a reasonable amount of money. Just don't go pressure washing your engine bay and you'll be fine. I still subscribe to using low pressure in that particular application. If you have a soft top, just be careful around the zippers and seams obviously.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

One thing to remember. They will freeze and break if you don't winterize or bring inside for winter. I've had several electric and two gas. I will never buy another electric one. Gas is so much more versatile. Just use the appropriate nozzle for the Jeep and no damage done. Getting above 2500 psi is key for many household chores.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

When washing around the front grill openings, be careful how close you get to the air conditioner condenser (what you may think of as the radiator, but it really isn't). It is aluminum and will bend easily if high pressure water is directed closely at it--say to wash bugs out. Sometimes mud will get into your radiator, causing engine running above normal temps. Bottom line, if you must get grit out of this area, soak it, then use low pressure water hose and a small brush to remove.

Once you have a pressure washer, then the next upgrade so you can fully wash your Jeep is obvious ...

;-)
Old 06-08-2018, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For what it worth, I own a pressure washing company, and have for almost 30 years. I currently have 15 pressure washers.
Now that my credentials are established for internet purposes, a couple of things.

Go for more volume over more pressure. If you are getting a 1.3 GPC machine with 3000 psi, and you are in worse shape than 1500 psi at 3 GPm. You need water volume to move dirt and mud
The advice on a triplex pump is spot on. They last much longer than what are called wobble plate pumps, or axial pumps. You can usually tell them because they are a cube or box with a brass end with six large brass nut looking things on them. Those are the valve caps. The other machines, which are super cheap just don’t last. You can figure that you might get a couple of seasons out of them, no matter how frequently the are used.
If you want a decent machine, you will need to spend some money. If it was me, this is the machine I would get for home use. A nice advantage to this is that if you want hot water it can be hooked to your water heater drain to have a few minutes of hot water.
https://www.toolbarn.com/arblueclean...A_pmt_b_pdv_t_
Another nice thing about the electric is that maintenance is greatly reduced.
The following users liked this post:
CrackerJoe21 (06-08-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good stuff, guys. Thanks!

I'd love to have a big forklift so I could wash underneath.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I own a pressure washer, I believe it's 2200psi and I think I've only used it on my JK once. When I pressure wash the JK, I take it to a local pressure washer bay. The major reasons being is convenience. I get to leave all my dirt/mud at the car wash so much less clean up when I'm done, it's much simpler to switch between de-greaser, soap, rinse, and foaming brush, as well as the water pressure is much higher at those bays if I need it. I power wash everything including my engine bay, I just don't aim the wand with high pressure at any electrical components, but I have no problem soaking that engine bay down with the green de-greaser and then rinsing everything off with some mid pressure water by stepping back a little bit. A thorough cleaning job at the bay costs me $5-$10 and is way more convenient than using my own pressure washer at that price.

So my advise, if you are within 15-30min driving distance from a local pressure washer bay, then don't buy a pressure washer for your JK, break out your quarters instead when needed. My pressure washer is mostly used for cleaning the outside of my house and patio area and other items around the house. It takes me 15 minutes to pull everything out, fill it with gas, and another 15 minutes to wrap up the hoses and clean up all the mess and put all the other brushes, soap, etc away. It takes me less time driving to the local bay.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-21-2018 at 06:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Pressure Washers?