Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Preventing Rust on Door Hinges?

Old 04-13-2008, 09:05 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Preventing Rust on Door Hinges?

Any spry or anything I can buy for this? I would like to prevent it rather than wait for it to happen and have it fixed..
Old 04-14-2008, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Any spry or anything I can buy for this? I would like to prevent it rather than wait for it to happen and have it fixed..

Just not so sure that a spray of any kind could stop thisI now have this on 2 of my hinges with a 3rd about to flake off. Luckily warrenty will cover
Old 04-16-2008, 05:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've put some 3M clear vinyl on my door hinges. Seems to be working well, so far. I got it on about 2 weeks after driving it off the lot.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is a dumb question, but how long will the warrantee cover the paint on our hinges?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nevermind, I just pulled out the handy dandy warranty information booklet.

It says,"for sheet metal panels, the limit is 36 months, with no mileage limit."

"for an outer-body sheet metal panel-one that is finish-painted and that someone can see walking around the vehicle- the limits are 5years or 100,000 miles on the odometer, whichever comes first."
Old 04-17-2008, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anything will rust, when we have two metals and salty/acidywater.

First, is the 2 metals. Even steel that is poured into two consecutive molds are chemically
dissimiliar metals. So the two body panels or the door skin welded to the door frame
are made at different times and are dissimiliar metals. Therefore we can not change or
correct the method of manufacturing .

What we can change the different electrical potiential that does exist with dissimiliar metals.
In the aircraft industry it is called bonding and that is why we see 50 year old aircraft looking
as good as new.

This bonding is a braided strip of wire that is bolted to either side of the contacting surfaces,
where to different metals meet. A common problem was the rear seam on the TJs where it had
the rear corner panel welded. The rust always popped off the paint along that 12 inch strip.

There is constant electricity flowing throughtout your vehicle. Everything is grounded to the frame.
So is the battery. This eliminates the amount of wiring.
This also rises the electrical potential ( and resistance) between two or more joining metals,
thus promoting rust.

So the only way to reduce corrision is to bond the assembled pieces with bonding strips.
This would increase the life of all metal parts.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

So SUBIGON, your saying essentially a ground strap from the hinge to the body would help prevent this?
Old 04-17-2008, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Simple answer - Yes
A grounding strap will discharge any electrical potential differance between two
dissimiliar metals and eliminate any rusting. Getting a grounding or bonding strap
installed is another subject. My expeience is from 32 years in the Aerospace Industry.

Quick Reply: Preventing Rust on Door Hinges?