Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

priced out some mods.. why not just get a 2nd jeep?

Old 10-19-2007, 05:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2k2wranglerx: That's awesome and what I'm thinking about. Right on!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anhedrew
I'm hip. I'd researched TJ's for months before taking out the cash to go purchase one for $7K. My wife threw a fit... even though she knew I'd been researching these and driving hundreds of miles to look at what turned out to be mostly junk. When I finally found the one I wanted she put her foot down and said NO. After a couple of days of not talking she said "Look, if you're going to buy a Jeep then just buy a new one so we don't have to deal with someone else's problems. You don't have time to be putting hours into another project in the garage."

So.... the Jeep I order should be in tomorrow. The $5k in aftermarket parts I'd ordered while waiting for it to be built have come in throughout the week this week. The wife is peed off for some reason.

We could have spent $7K and been done with it. Now we've spent $5K before we've even gotten the danged Jeep! Her comment when she saw the bill for the bulk of the parts - "I knew I should have just bought a Hummer. I hate you."
Your wife . . . and my wife . . . well, I think it's best that they never meet . . .
Old 10-23-2007, 08:22 AM
JK Junkie

Getting a second jeep does not help.......in fact it makes it worse....we just got our second and now we are mod'ing up 2 of them..
Old 10-23-2007, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BaltChief
Getting a second jeep does not help.......in fact it makes it worse....we just got our second and now we are mod'ing up 2 of them..
And having 3 (soon to be 4) is a REALLY bad idea. I just figured out I have spent over $8K on repairs and mods for both Cherokees and the CJ-8 combined this year. it's gonna be scary when the JK gets here. I will have to at least dump 1 XJ and the lone non-jeep ('88 4Runner) thats floating around the yard.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by oZmonKey
I priced out about half the mods I'd kinda like to do to my JK and i'm over $5k down....

I can find lots of capable machines on ebay for less than that....

I got a jeep cuz I wanna go offroad, but maybe I don't want to mod it too extreme.. I can just get a 2nd one or a 3rd one and use them different for different locations.

I'm just thinking in type in this thread.
It all started for me in 1988, when I tried to follow my college roommate's CJ5 with my '88 Toyota 4x4 in the hills surrounding Santa Rosa, CA. I never made it up the last hill and was forced to sit and watch him motor up the hill again and again without a problem. 3 years later I bought my first Jeep: 1989 White YJ with 31" Goodyears and a SOA lift. I loved that Jeep... did everything I ever wanted and went everywhere I ever wanted to go.

Then I sold it for a down payment on my '94 Mustang GT Convertable (it was a phase, OK?!) 7 years later I bought a '94 YJ which I wrenched on a bit, but never could afford a lift and bumpers. But, that Jeep went everywhere I wanted... that is until I came to rocky trail head in Anzo Borrego and I quickly found that my Jeep couldn't go everywhere I wanted. That really affected me and got me researching suspensions and custom solutions... then the Rubicon was released.

My father-in-law and I always talked about buying a "Rubicon." But, I couldn't afford it and he would never actually do it...

Fast forward to '07: I have a really good job and the new 4-door Jeeps will fit my family. I could no longer resist. Drove over to Don A Vee and bought the Rescue Green Rubi sitting on the rock display in the show room.

I drove it stock for 3 months. I watched WOL's modified rig scale every obstacle on Miller Jeep Trail and knew what I needed to do. Got home and called David and the Money Train started...

My thinking (justification) is that I'm going to have this Jeep for a LONG time and I don't need to upgrade everything this year - I can do a little each year. I did modify the Suspension, Tires, Wheels, and Bumpers, but will look to modify the axles and gears next year, followed by skid plates and body armor.

It is an investment to me: my family and I love the outdoors and camping. We don't get to go enough, but when we do we want a rig that can carry all of the gear AND us safely and the JK can do that. And to be honest, I love this board and the Jeep community.

Originally Posted by OffTopic
It gets even worse when you go on a run with a bunch of other JKs and see all the cool stuff they have!
Amen to that. For me it was Miller Jeep Trail and watching Doojer (a modified non-Rubicon), Trailbud, and WOL's rigs roll over everything (including a cameraman in Doojer's case!)

Originally Posted by toad
LOL! Apparently when I first got the jeep I said I wasn't going to do anything to it for about a year (so I've been told..I don't seem to recall this conversation). In any case, I was bit HARD by the mod bug and haven't stopped since I've started. I want to do certain things to it, then I see what others have done...I bought tires and wheels...now I need BIGGER tires and wheels. I don't think it will ever end. But..I LOVE my jeep and I wouldn't trade it OR my experiences for anything.
I agree with Toad. It will never end. My wife and I are modifying our house... new wood floors, new kitchen appliances, new paint, new cabinets, new tile... etc... for me it will never end. We do what we can when we can and love it. The same applies to the Jeep.

On a side note: I'm still not sure why Toad upgrades her rig... she and Bullfrog can drive better than 9/10s of the folks on this board who have highly modified rigs (including ME!).

Last edited by Dayton; 10-23-2007 at 10:55 AM.

Quick Reply: priced out some mods.. why not just get a 2nd jeep?