Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Problems with Smittybilt Products

Old 04-02-2010, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with Smittybilt Products

So I know the old addage, "You get what you pay for", but I was surprised when I plunked down about $2000 at 4Wheel for some Smittybilt products (XRC front bumper, SRC rock rails, XRC8 Comp winch, etc) and some of the mounting holes don't even line up. I went back to the Ft. Worth 4Wheel Parts and told them about the problem and the sales guy (Mike) tells me, "you must have gotten a bad batch"... Then proceeds to tell me I need to get with Smittybilt and see if they can help me out... Really??? I thought I bought them from you... Great customer service Mike! If I remember correctly, aren't both of these companies (4Wheel & Smittybilt) pretty much one in the same? Anyway, so now I've got a front bumper that I can't get the bottom bolts in and two rock rails that I can only get 3 of the four nuts on the bracket.

I'm not trying to slam 4Wheel or Smittybilt because I really like what they have to offer, but has anyone else on here had similar problems with these items or others?

Last edited by Copperbob; 04-02-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cooperbob
So I know the old addage, "You get what you pay for", but I was surprised when I plunked down about $700 for a XRC front bumper and SRC rock rails and the holes for the mounts don't even line up. I went back to the Ft. Worth 4Wheel Parts and told them about the problem and the sales guy (Mike) tells me, "you must have gotten a bad batch"... Then proceeds to tell me I need to get with Smittybilt and see if they can help me out... Really??? I thought I bought them from you... Great customer service Mike! If I remember correctly, aren't both of these companies (4Wheel & Smittybilt) pretty much one in the same? Anyway, so now I've got a front bumper that I can't get the bottom bolts in and two rock rails that I can only get 3 of the four nuts on the bracket.

I'm not trying to slam 4Wheel or Smittybilt because I really like what they have to offer, but has anyone else on here had similar problems with these items or others?
Yes on the SRC rails. We had to file a few holes to get the bolts in and on one side only got 3 of the 4 bolts in. We got a Smitty XRC rear bumper that went on like butta.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Aren't these products MADE IN CHINA? It's that old saying: "You get what you pay for". Take em back and check out some of the other vendors who's products are MADE IN USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry about the headaches.

When will this country WAKE UP.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

That sucks that you had that experience there. They have usually been cool as hell there. One of the guys is a d-bag, but most are cool as hell. I would also try the warehouse out in grapevine, they are bigger and have been super helpful, they even set my stauns for me! Good Luck!
Old 04-02-2010, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

I had a problem installing my smittybilt SRC rear bumper. The welded on mounting bracket was a little "off", so when I mounted the bumper on the frame it was crooked. Had to use a little elbow grease and sledge hammer to fix it.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

It depends on your situation. I have 3 SB products on my JK. XRC front bumper, xrc10 winch and the SRC rock rails.

1) All of my SB products are great quality. They have all held up without any problems at all.

2) In regards to the SRC rock rails, yes only 3/4 holes lined up. The reason the 4th one does not line up its because of a little bit of excess welding on the interior. Take a small grinder and shave it down. It was worth my 2 minutes of grinding to save a couple hundred dollars
Old 04-02-2010, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

Did the bottom holes of your XRC front bumper line up when you installed it?
Old 04-02-2010, 07:47 PM
JK Freak

i know with the SRC front bumper and rear you have to drill 2 holes larger to 1/2" ... it says to in the direction ... maybe its the same with the XRCs
Old 04-02-2010, 08:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kidsjeep
Aren't these products MADE IN CHINA? It's that old saying: "You get what you pay for". Take em back and check out some of the other vendors who's products are MADE IN USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry about the headaches.

When will this country WAKE UP.
That is an asinine comment. The world is flat and there are very very few products that are truly american. If it is assembled in the US the parts still didn't come from the US. German and Japanese companies assemble there cars in the US and give our citizens jobs to do it.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rich e dee
i know with the SRC front bumper and rear you have to drill 2 holes larger to 1/2" ... it says to in the direction ... maybe its the same with the XRCs
You have to do this with the XRC also but it states that in the directions. Took maybe 30 seconds

Originally Posted by Kupost
That is an asinine comment. The world is flat and there are very very few products that are truly american. If it is assembled in the US the parts still didn't come from the US. German and Japanese companies assemble there cars in the US and give our citizens jobs to do it.
So true..

Quick Reply: Problems with Smittybilt Products