Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

proof for my dad.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jblankster
okay, as some of you read in my other thread about this rubi. my dad dosent like it just becuase of the half doors. and he says he would rather order me a new x. can you guys PLEASE post here ant tell him that this used rubi is WAY better than ordering any new X. he will be seeing this in a few days so post as much reasons to get the rubi as possible

Personally, I think your Dad should call you an ungrateful li'l sh!t, and tell you to walk!
Old 12-26-2007, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jblankster
okay, as some of you read in my other thread about this rubi. my dad dosent like it just becuase of the half doors. and he says he would rather order me a new x. can you guys PLEASE post here ant tell him that this used rubi is WAY better than ordering any new X. he will be seeing this in a few days so post as much reasons to get the rubi as possible
I would be careful of that price, it seems too good to be true.. but if it is in good shape, let your dad know that to replace the Dana 30 front with a Dana 44 front with locker will cost about $1400, and then another $400 to $800 to add a locker to the rear axle.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmerc
Personally, I think your Dad should call you an ungrateful li'l sh!t, and tell you to walk!
I think so too. I always lived by this one simple rule when i was in their home. I live in their house, I live by their rules.

To compound your situation, not only do you live in their house but they will be paying for your Jeep. I assume your still highschool correct? I would feel greatful to have a 2dr X given to me....

Im nowhere near the oldest on this board (haha 21 years old) so i still remember that feeling of needing a vehicle when i was 16. You know what i got given to me? a 1997 Hyundia Tiburon. 1.8L 4cyl, 5 speed, manual windows/locks, no CD, no cruise. It was my oldest brothers and it was a hand-me-down car and my parents made the payments during football season and i made them the rest of the year. AND when i got the car it was at 60k miles, which means the 60k mile tune up time which was $650.

So if your dad wants to buy you a brand new JK X model with full doors, shake his hand, hug your mother and go mow the yard.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:19 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BigJerm
I think so too. I always lived by this one simple rule when i was in their home. I live in their house, I live by their rules.

To compound your situation, not only do you live in their house but they will be paying for your Jeep. I assume your still highschool correct? I would feel greatful to have a 2dr X given to me....

Im nowhere near the oldest on this board (haha 21 years old) so i still remember that feeling of needing a vehicle when i was 16. You know what i got given to me? a 1997 Hyundia Tiburon. 1.8L 4cyl, 5 speed, manual windows/locks, no CD, no cruise. It was my oldest brothers and it was a hand-me-down car and my parents made the payments during football season and i made them the rest of the year. AND when i got the car it was at 60k miles, which means the 60k mile tune up time which was $650.

So if your dad wants to buy you a brand new JK X model with full doors, shake his hand, hug your mother and go mow the yard.
Hahaha... 21 (22 in a few days) here too. I also remember that "NEED TO HAVE THE COOLEST CAR" deal. Heck, I wanted my neighbor's 93 Camaro z28. I even offered to pay, and my parents weren't having it!

But, since the age of 13, I was given a deal. If I mow the lawn, do the dishes, and do any other little chores asked of me, I could get my mother's 94 explorer as a hand me down. 4 years of chores later, and about 5 months after I got my license (she needed time to buy a new car for herself) I got my explorer, and had to keep it until this February (where I finally had gotten fed up with putting in hundreds of dollars every other month to fix it (Water pump... brakes... Power steering pump, Transmission... etc. etc.).

I thought my deal was kick ass, even though I didn't get my camaro. But heck, I learned how to drive on a beater. It really didn't matter if I got in an accident (which I didn't), and my insurance rates were fairly low (Here in MA, new male drivers can expect to pay out the arse in insurance... my 94 explorer cost me about 2600 a year without collision coverage! ) I put some money into the stereo system to make it more pleasurable to drive.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wonder what "Dad" is gonna' think of the above posts?

Thankfully, some parents prefer to not turn their kids into spoiled brats. That, is what seperates the Waylands and Bigjerms, from the Paris Hiltons and Lindsay Lohans!

My congrats to you both!!
Old 12-26-2007, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

^my dad says he dosent like used cars... which is why he wants me to get a new one?

Originally Posted by SteelMastiff
If things don't work out with the JK let me know. I will make you a crack head deal on a 2007 Cobalt with only 7k miles on it. The car is mint, and has a few extras...

PICS HERE
is that the 2.2 or the 2.4? my dad was lookin at those also :p
Old 12-26-2007, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looking at your wish list of mods to get, I think you would be better off with the X. But, that Rubi is a sweet deal if its for real!. Have you physically seen it? Sometimes its a gimmick ust to get you on the lot......"Oh, we just sold that yesterday!". There's good and bad with half doors.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Get the Rubi if you plan on wheeling it w/ 35's or 37's. To me, the dana 44 front and rear, lockers, electric disco, and 4:1 transfer case are worth that price and w/ half doors you can't beat that deal, if it is legit. sounds awful cheap. The Rubi will also hold its value considerably better than an X model.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:40 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

I'm shocked by the general reaction of your fellow jeepers. I think most of these guys must be jealous of the fact that your Dad will buy you a cool car. Ask for some help, and what do you get,... judged with a critical eye. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that if your Dad is willing to buy you a Jeep, then you are most likely a very good guy. I also think it's okay for you to have a strong opinion about what you want.

It's really this simple.

The Rubi is more capable. Most people don't mention it, but the transfer case alone, is a giant difference in crawling capability (safer). Otherwise for a single guy, half doors are more cool than full doors. Better deal (at that price) lockers, better suspension, axles, electric disco, and the list goes on...

my $.02
Old 12-26-2007, 12:42 PM
JK Super Freak

If it were me, I'd go with the new X. You just never know what you're getting when you buy used. It might have been wheeled hard or even abused. I am always skeptical about used vehicles that are practically new. It makes me think that there must have been some problems with it, otherwise the person would have kept it. Whatever you get, be greatful that you have such a great dad. My parents never bought me anything!

Quick Reply: proof for my dad.