Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Put a deposit down on a JKUR coming in Monday

Old 03-03-2013, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a hundred dollar Garmin and forget about it! The updates for the factory nav are crazy expensive.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by revvinkevin
Buy a hundred dollar Garmin and forget about it! The updates for the factory nav are crazy expensive.
Agreed. Factory nav has got to be one of the biggest wastes of $ next to bottled water. I actually like the smart phone nav apps better than any of the factory navs or after market units. Especially like Waze as users can report location of speed traps and hazards.

Buy the app once and use on multiple devices n
Old 03-04-2013, 03:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by H2O_Doc

Agreed. Factory nav has got to be one of the biggest wastes of $ next to bottled water. I actually like the smart phone nav apps better than any of the factory navs or after market units. Especially like Waze as users can report location of speed traps and hazards.

Buy the app once and use on multiple devices n
I agree as well. It came on mine but I will never update it. My Google Maps on the Iphone work great and don't require updates.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by abqtj
It's a Black Rubicon, Auto, Hardtop....and that's pretty much it.

I was wanting Nav and heated seats, but I can't really find one without a bunch of extra stuff I don't really want to pay for.

Will I be upset not having the Nav radio? Heated seats are an easy fix, radio is quite a bit more, but still cheaper if I go aftermarket.
Originally Posted by revvinkevin
I have been running portable Garmin GPS's for years, bought lifetime updates for them for around $70 for each unit, I have 3, two for cars/work truck and one on my motorcycle, they get updated at least 4 times a year.

I wanted the built in Garmin in my Unlimited Sahara, so I got the 430N package with the Jeep. It is extremely convenient to have the GPS a finger touch away and I've used it several times running into a traffic jam in areas I am familiar with for the most part but not the neighborhoods along the main roads. Was able to by-pass the jam running through the adjacent area streets with no problem. I wouldn't have had the portable set up since I pretty much knew where I was and would have been stuck in the jam.

That said, the once a year updates for the 430N are around $150 every time you update. Another problem with the 430N is you can't load your own "points of interest" (POI) at least I haven't found a way yet. On my portable GPS's I have loaded red light camera and speed trap databases as well as types of stores I might like and many more things.

The biggest advantage for the 430N is it's always set-up and on, plus it doesn't bounce/move around if you have it on your dash board as opposed to the windshield. It's also not as easy to steal as a portable. To make up for the lack of personal POI's I bought a radar detector with GPS that is updatable with red light camera and speed trap databases.

The biggest advantage of a portable is the much less expensive map updates and the ease of setting up personal POI's.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Oh, there's also a Billet Silver one with the same options coming the following week. I might pass on the Black one and grab the Silver. But needed to leave the $ down so I have first right of refusal in case someone else snags it.
So what's the outcome....??? and what dealer are you working with?? just curious.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit
So what's the outcome....??? and what dealer are you working with?? just curious.
Brought home the black one this evening.

And it's Mark's Casa Jeep, using the Tread Lightly discount.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Brought home the black one this evening.

And it's Mark's Casa Jeep, using the Tread Lightly discount.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

I'm happy

Quick Reply: Put a deposit down on a JKUR coming in Monday