Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Putting in a winch this weekend...Do I have everything I need?

Old 10-04-2013, 06:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Putting in a winch this weekend...Do I have everything I need?

So I'm putting in a winch this weekend.

The winch is a Warn VR8000 new in box and it's destined to live in an AEV tubeless front bumper for which I've already bought the winch mounting plate. I'm assuming that's all I need in terms of parts and hardware? Am I missing anything?

Then, there are related questions:

1) I'm using the stock Jeep/Mopar battery with the winch. Will this be an issue, short or long term?

2) The winch and mounting plate weigh a ton. The Jeep has a suspension lift already, which leveled out the stock rake. Now that there's the equivalent of a cow laying on the front end, is it common to add spacers to compensate for the extra weight/dip of the hardware up front? If so, what would everyone recommend? (the existing lift is a 2.5" AEV Dualsport).

Thanks in advance...
Old 10-04-2013, 07:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

1.) I run my warn XD9000i on stock battery with no problems

2.) A lot of ppl add 3/4" coil spacers to make up for suspension sag. I have a set of them on top of my 4"lift
Old 10-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I would definitely pick up a deep cycle battery if you plan on using the winch much. X2 on spacers to level the front.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to West Marine and made up longer power cables so o could route them properly and not through the grill. They have the cable and ends with a bench crimper to properly install the connectors.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, remove your fog lights, bracket and all. If you don't you'll bend the shit out of them due to a hidden lip on the front frame rails when pulling off the bumper.

If you've got a '12 you will fight the vacuum pump relocation bracket. I'd advise to drill the holes 3/8" further forward on the winch plate before you start your installation (so the pump is resting hard against the AEV plate rather than the trans cooler). My vacuum pump hose connection was stuffed into my trans cooler so hard that the winch plate wouldn't fit. I had to bend the cooler tube lines down underneath the trans cooler about 1.5" to get the vacuum pump to fit. I also removed that cooler line plastic bracket from the frame. Here are some quick pictures, I haven't had time to edit them yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2699076981.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	502684

Name:	image-1901280748.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	502685

Name:	image-2980714675.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	502688

Name:	image-2079355659.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	502686

Also if you bought a winch cover, it won't fit unless you push the winch towards the back of the Jeep, then to the driver side. I also upgraded the winch mounting bolts (1.25"x3/8") to grade 8 at this time.

Another item they don't tell you about is that you should spool a few wraps of line before you install the bumper. Fish the rest of your line through your fair lead and finish spooling once the bumper installation is complete.

Last, the AEV skid plate is attached to the bumper with cheap self tapping bolts. I snapped off two heads during the initial install. I recommend replacing all six with grade 8, 1"x3/8" bolts. Just don't go overkill when tightening them.

In the end I was pretty pissed at AEV. The amount of fighting I did and the price I paid did not add up. My PSC bumper, EVO Protek Skids, TF BB, even Nitro sleeves installed flawlessly compared to this expensive a$$ bumper.

Last edited by Tripletsi; 10-04-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP, sorry I can't help you out as I'm waiting on my winch to be shipped and don't have it yet.

But to others, I'm curious if anyone has experience putting a Superwinch Tigershark 9500 into an AEV gen 1 bumper. My fear is that the right (passenger) side won't clear the winch motor.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, with the awesome weather here in Washington, I had to make the tough decision to spend Saturday/Sunday outside working on the house, or in the garage working on the Jeep. I've been doing some house projects that are a "race to the finish" as far as weather is concerned, so the house got my time. There's a winch and boxes full of parts sitting under the front bumper. Maybe this week if I'm feeling adventurous.

It also occurred to me that I'll be police-bait without a front license plate, since I'll actually have a fairlead there. I ordered the AEV license bracket thingy which is on its way. The state patrol and even municipal police are pretty ticklish about license plates unfortunately.

Quick Reply: Putting in a winch this weekend...Do I have everything I need?