JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Question about driveshaft boot (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/question-about-driveshaft-boot-24123/)

bertjnkns 12-30-2007 05:07 PM

Question about driveshaft boot(UPDATE)

Well, I think that's what it was. Yesterday as I was leaving the off-road park, after wheeling all day I was picking up speed down the hill and noticed a loud clicking noise that would increase in speed the faster I went. I stopped, got out and couldn't find anything. Started again and as I got to about 30mph it would start up again. I pulled over again knowing now that it was something either on a wheel but suspecting it was on a drive line due to the location the noise was coming from. I noticed the black plastic flexible boot or cover on the front drive shaft was broken and a large piece was flapping as it would turn. There was no way to fix it I could see so I just pulled on it and it broke completely off. I have a 3 hour drive to work tomorrow. I don't suppose I'll lose any kind of fluid, I just noticed it was greasy. So is it ok to drive without this part? I plan on getting one asap to replace it so I'll stop at the Jeep dealer when I get to work and have them order me one, I doubt they carry it. Best I can tell it's to keep dirt/debris/water out of the shaft where it slides in and out.

I ran some pretty tough trails yesterday and this thing is tucked up pretty well. I can't imagine how I could have cracked it. Has anyone else had this happen?

Update:

Well, I walked in, told the service guy what happened, and he punched some keys on his computer and asked if I could pick it up on Thurs, it'll be $14. He did ask how it happened as if he might warranty it, I told him I wasn't sure, but I'm sure the second he crawled under the thing he'd know how it happened. So I didn't figure it'd be worth the trouble to try and get them to do it under warranty.

Renegade 12-30-2007 06:23 PM

It's pretty common to tear the front driveshaft boot on a lifted Jk with the auto tranny. Driving it without the boot for a while won't hurt anything as long as you stay away from deep water or mud. The boot apparently isn't a servicable part, so the dealer may try to screw you into buying a complete new shaft. I had a local driveline shop replace mine for $11. The permenant remedy is to replace the factory shaft with a smaller diameter HD shaft. Good luck.

bertjnkns 12-30-2007 06:39 PM

Thank you. Do you have any idea why they tear?

There is a good Jeep friendly dealer in the area, I'll check with them first. That's rediculous to try and make someone buy an entire drive shaft for a .50 piece of plastic. But your suggestion on a HD shaft is a good idea, keep the stock for a back-up.

Renegade 12-31-2007 04:33 AM

It makes contact with the side of the tranny when the suspension compresses a certain way.

nepatsfn 12-31-2007 05:27 AM

I wonder if a shock boot would fit on there:thinking: Prob to small.

bertjnkns 12-31-2007 10:07 AM

Yeah, this shaft is about twice the size of a shock. It seems though if it were made of a more rubber material like a shock boot instead of hard plastic it might be a little more durable though.