Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Question about driveshaft boot

Old 12-30-2007, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about driveshaft boot(UPDATE)

Well, I think that's what it was. Yesterday as I was leaving the off-road park, after wheeling all day I was picking up speed down the hill and noticed a loud clicking noise that would increase in speed the faster I went. I stopped, got out and couldn't find anything. Started again and as I got to about 30mph it would start up again. I pulled over again knowing now that it was something either on a wheel but suspecting it was on a drive line due to the location the noise was coming from. I noticed the black plastic flexible boot or cover on the front drive shaft was broken and a large piece was flapping as it would turn. There was no way to fix it I could see so I just pulled on it and it broke completely off. I have a 3 hour drive to work tomorrow. I don't suppose I'll lose any kind of fluid, I just noticed it was greasy. So is it ok to drive without this part? I plan on getting one asap to replace it so I'll stop at the Jeep dealer when I get to work and have them order me one, I doubt they carry it. Best I can tell it's to keep dirt/debris/water out of the shaft where it slides in and out.

I ran some pretty tough trails yesterday and this thing is tucked up pretty well. I can't imagine how I could have cracked it. Has anyone else had this happen?

Update:

Well, I walked in, told the service guy what happened, and he punched some keys on his computer and asked if I could pick it up on Thurs, it'll be $14. He did ask how it happened as if he might warranty it, I told him I wasn't sure, but I'm sure the second he crawled under the thing he'd know how it happened. So I didn't figure it'd be worth the trouble to try and get them to do it under warranty.

Last edited by bertjnkns; 12-31-2007 at 10:06 AM. Reason: update
Old 12-30-2007, 06:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's pretty common to tear the front driveshaft boot on a lifted Jk with the auto tranny. Driving it without the boot for a while won't hurt anything as long as you stay away from deep water or mud. The boot apparently isn't a servicable part, so the dealer may try to screw you into buying a complete new shaft. I had a local driveline shop replace mine for $11. The permenant remedy is to replace the factory shaft with a smaller diameter HD shaft. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you. Do you have any idea why they tear?

There is a good Jeep friendly dealer in the area, I'll check with them first. That's rediculous to try and make someone buy an entire drive shaft for a .50 piece of plastic. But your suggestion on a HD shaft is a good idea, keep the stock for a back-up.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It makes contact with the side of the tranny when the suspension compresses a certain way.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

I wonder if a shock boot would fit on there Prob to small.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, this shaft is about twice the size of a shock. It seems though if it were made of a more rubber material like a shock boot instead of hard plastic it might be a little more durable though.

Quick Reply: Question about driveshaft boot