Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

the question about going offroad and money

Old 04-11-2010, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the question about going offroad and money

if anyone was to toto moab (or any other offroad park)

how much money should that person have in there bank to cover any typical damage and repairs that will occour while out on the tails so they wont end up stranded?

gears
driveshafts
axel shafts
tires
stalled engins
busted fuel tanks

how much can repars like that cost while your out away from the cities?
Old 04-11-2010, 09:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Lots. Most people dont have that kind of cash just sitting in the bank. At least I dont. You will need a credit card with plenty of credit available. The best insurance you can have is to have at least one other person with you so that you can at least get off of the trail and to the road where a tow truck can take you to a shop. If the tow company has to come get you while you are still off road somewhere, thats where it can get real expensive even before you are talking about repair costs. My practice is to not do anything that could damage my Jeep unless I have to. Of course, my Jeep is my daily driver and if it cant get me to work, I am screwed.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:22 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

If you can, you will want a credit card to bail you out. Break down on White Rim Trail, where I'm headed in a couple weeks, and you could be out $1000 just to get the Jeep back to a shop. But, let me suggest something that would seem almost heresy on this forum: If you don't have six months worth of wages saved up, you should be doing that before spending more money on your Jeep. While that cash should be primarily for if you lose your job, it can also be where you dip into for an emergency such as expensive repairs to your vehicle. Everyone should be saving that up before spending money on their toys, especially Jeep mod's for wheeling.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
If you can, you will want a credit card to bail you out. Break down on White Rim Trail, where I'm headed in a couple weeks, and you could be out $1000 just to get the Jeep back to a shop. But, let me suggest something that would seem almost heresy on this forum: If you don't have six months worth of wages saved up, you should be doing that before spending more money on your Jeep. While that cash should be primarily for if you lose your job, it can also be where you dip into for an emergency such as expensive repairs to your vehicle. Everyone should be saving that up before spending money on their toys, especially Jeep mod's for wheeling.
I agree with this......
Old 04-12-2010, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

X3...despite my username this is the way we handle our finances. We actually have an emergency fund for Jeep repairs!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:26 AM
JK Super Freak

When you go to Moab, it's not nothing-but Rockcrawler trails. It's the Mecca of 4-wheeling because it has a huge system of different trails for everyone. When you go you will see completely stock jeeps to custom built rock crawlers. I only have a 2" BB and 33's on my 2dr and it does exceptionally awesome. My buddy has a 04 TJ Rubicon with no lift and he destroys the place. It's all about picking the trail you are comfortable doing, knowing your limitations, and having an experienced spotter. If you have those three then there is no need for extra parts to lug around. I would throw out the extra parts and bring your camping equipment and photography equipment. One day is not enough fun. If anything I would bring an air compressor for your tires and perhaps driveshafts -- if you hold down the skinny peddle, you're going to twist your driveshafts going up a ledge.

I would just rock a CB radio. Moab is always packed with people within CB distance. If something happens, someone will answer the call and help. People are very nice out there, ballsy but very nice.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:29 AM
JK Super Freak

x2. Very smart words. Even I -- a kid who loves modifying his JK -- have put my money aside for a rainy day and for the credit card bills. Times are tough. The Jeep is not a priority.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Carnage can happen at any time. I've had driveshafts go out just driving on the hwy, transmissions will eventually fail, nails and road debris regularly claim tires.

If you don't have money available for regular repairs, then I wouldn't venture off road. If you do have some $$ set aside then wheel accordingly. If you can't afford to replace an axle, stay on the easier trails. There is something for everyone off road and places like Moab offer everything from mild to wild.

Best insurance is membership in a local off road club. Most folks will stay with you and help you get your vehicle back to camp, and have some good suggestions for the best way to get a repair or get home.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

X whateveritisuptonow.

If i hadent had some money saved up, my illness would have completely sunk us. As it is i am struggling more than i care to say, but we are squeeking by, barely. had it been any less i would have already lost my house. I may well lose it yet, i simply dont know, but the money in the bank certainly saved my ass for the time being.

Jeep mods and extra spending where halted indefinetly, until such time as the funds get replaced, the toys are on indefinite hold.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

The only real way to be completely safe is to have a complete Jeep on standby at the trail just in case, sort of like a hanger or garage Queen as it be. I have one, but I just choose to store it at Dave's in Washington and he sends me pieces off it a little at a time

Quick Reply: the question about going offroad and money